Edinburgh to London transfer by Train

arancio
arancio Posts: 8
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
Greetings After cycling in Scotland I plan on a taking the Caledonian Sleeper from Edinburgh to London on part of my cycle tour of GB. The choices for seats is a little confusing. There are a couple of choices that look the same but carry a different fair. By icons in the boxes I can see the difference between a berth and a reclining seat. But there are a couple choices with the same description but @ different prices.

1)Standard advance single @ 49.50 All these show bed icons.

2)Standard advance single @ 66.00

3)Standard open single @ 115.00

4)Standard open single @ 126.00

5) First open single @ 152.00

6) First open Single @ 175.00

My travel date is 18/09 if that helps.
There are a couple of choices other than these but they show a reclining seat I am interested in a berth. The Question is. What is the difference between OPEN and ADVANCED? And there are two choices that look the same @ different prices #1 and #2. Now also the site mentions a supplement on choices #4 and #6 is this for a private berth? I called First Scotrail for some clarification but the phone tree went on forever.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Advance tickets have to be used on the date and time shown on the ticket, and are difficult to change or get refunds in advance. They are usually far cheaper than standard "open" tickets, which can be used any time (usually within 3 months of purchase).

If you are 99% sure of your journey time, get an advance ticket. If not, get an open.

a serious case of small cogs
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Have you tried ringing First ScotRail telesales (08457 550033)? The one time I rang them they were very helpful - but they may have automated the system since then.

The one time I paid full price for a sleeper (normally I get a Bargain Berth) the fare was sixty-odd quid so I'd guess that was the fare for a bed rather than seat.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    edited August 2008
    duplicate post deleted
  • ronstrutt
    ronstrutt Posts: 3,170
    toontra wrote:
    Advance tickets have to be used on the date and time shown on the ticket, and are difficult to change or get refunds in advance. They are usually far cheaper than standard "open" tickets, which can be used any time (usually within 3 months of purchase).

If you are 99% sure of your journey time, get an advance ticket. If not, get an open.

Almost right, but things are a little more restricted on the sleepers as all seats and berths have to be reserved anyway. You can't just turn up on the day and be guaranteed a seat or berth even if you have an Open ticket.

Basically, there are a limited number of advance booking seats and berths on each train. The sooner you book the more likley you are to get a bargain price. Once they've gone you have to pay the Open ticket price.
  • The Man in Seat 61 has all the information regarding London to Scotland byCaledonian Sleeper, including "Bargain Berths". Rock bottom fares from £19-£49 one-way available online for certain dates, but very limited numbers.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.