Looking for peoples opinions on my shortlist for a new bike.

Phill54
Phill54 Posts: 20
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone

I've decided to take up cycling as a new hobby and to help me get fit.
I would like to go off road and do some XC and i've come to the conclusion that a hardtail is right for me.

I have a budget of £600 which i can't afford to go over as i need all the other essentials that come with buying a bike (helmet,pump etc etc).

Over the past 2 months i've shortlisted around 12 bikes but narrowed them down to just 4 based on price/looks and from what i think are the best in my budget.

But i am a noob and i could very well be mistaken so i would appreciate the opinions of people here on these 4 bikes.

1. GT Avalanche Expert £599
2. GT Avalanche 1.0 £429
3. Commencal combi deluxe £540
4. Merlin Malt 1 2008 £585

I really like the looks of the Avalanche expert it looks miles better than the 1.0 however is the extra £170 justifiable? I don't really see much of a difference in specs or am i missing something lol?.

I came accross the commencal and merlin recently from other forum members recommending them to other people and i have to admit they both look great and the prices on merlins website are great.

I am leaning towards the Avalanche expert but in terms of value for money and suspension/brakes/weight etc are the other 3 better value or am i picking a good bike?.

Nowhere in my area stocks meriln/commencal so i can't test either of them out.

I would appreciate all comments and opinions thank you.

Comments

• kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    Those are all good bikes, ideally you'll want to try them to find which fits you best.

The Expert is worth the extra over the 1.0, if you can afford it, as you will be getting equipment. The forks especially are a very worthwhile upgrade over what the 1.0 is fitted with, as are the brakes.

Another Bike that might be worth a look is base model Specialized Rockhopper, the 09 model is the same price as the avalanche expert, and it is a very good bike, with a nice light frame.
    It doesn't have disc brakes which the GT has, but you might find an 08 rockhopper disc in your budget too. You should almost certainly have a Specialized Dealer nearby, too, unless you are living in the arse end of nowhere ;)
  • Phill54
    Phill54 Posts: 20
    Thanks i'll take a look at the rockhopper.