What glasses for night riding?

hitchen92
hitchen92 Posts: 264
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
After look in the market, there's too many glasses! And some at stupid prices! I've had so madison d'arcs for around 6months and there scratched to hell! Is it that the lenses are rubbish? What can you guys suggest to buy next? And i'll be night riding aswel so something inbetween.

Cheers!

Comments

• kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    Personally I'd get some decent glasses, like Bolles, smiths or Oakleys*, and then go to your local B&Q/Homebase and get some cheap as chips safety glasses for night riding, so you won't be too out of pocket if you drop them in the dark and can't find them again.

*In my opinion Oakleys really are worth the money, I haven't used anything with as good lenses, very tough and incredibly clear. Half-jackets or similar, with interchangable lenses, are very good for riding.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Look up Bolle safety glasses on ebay.

Should cost around £6 inc p&p.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I use Bolle Sileniums for darkness. Safety_One on eBay sell them for £5

they're optically very good, scratch resistant, and resist fogging as well as anything I've used. Being half-framed they're also good in the visibility stakes, best of all they're cheap enough to replace without worry if they get lost or broken :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i use my NVG's, night riding with lights is for girls...
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    M Vision Wishbones £30
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=8123
    smoke, persimmon and clear lenses, clear for night.
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Just got some Endura Stingray glasses for £30 - 4 different lenses, clear [for night], yellow and 2 gradients of dark + nice padded case.

Taking them out for 1st run tonight, seems pretty good for the £
  • adidas elevation climacool pro's. I'm a speccy 4 eyes so have the prescription insert.

mirrored lenses for daytime and orange for low light

very very nice (and as good as oakleys without the feeling that every chav owns em too)
    THE GAME FCN +10
    Folding Bike +10, Baggies +1, SPD's -1
    (Oh yeah, it's an Airnimal Chameleon. Bwah ha ha ha...cough)
    + Trek 8500 Singlespeed conversion.
    Flat Essex = no need for gears on a tow path.