new steed

ris
ris Posts: 392
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
finally got delivery of the new commute steed this afternoon - specialized allez sport 08.

it has only been on the run home so far but it certainly feels quicker than the joey does. i picked up some spd-sl pedals and shoes on the cheap and i found them a bit tricky to get into, sliding about all over the shop, but hopefully things will improve as the cleats wear in.

the only niggle i have is the front wheel is making a racket, sounds like a bearing or spoke isn't happy. i'll give the shop a bell tomorrow and get them to look at it as soon as they can. it only makes noise when being riden (loaded with weight, effectively), if i just spin the wheels they sound fine.

bit odd but nothing to put me off the thing!

thanks to all who gave me advice about road bikes, it's been much appreciated. i guess i'd better revise my fcn...

Comments

• robbie7
    robbie7 Posts: 292
    hi there, just one think have you checked that the small ring (not sure of the techincal term) around the valve is tight to the rim as i had the same sort of rattle and found out it was that.

happy riding
  • Hornetto
    Hornetto Posts: 141
    robbie7 wrote:
    hi there, just one think have you checked that the small ring (not sure of the techincal term) around the valve is tight to the rim as i had the same sort of rattle and found out it was that.

happy riding
    I've also got an Allez Sport (but 07 not 08), and I had the same rattle after my first ride. As Robbie said, it was the little threaded ring around the valve which just needed tightening a bit (finger tight). It span quietly when off the ground but if you drop the front wheel from an inch off the ground there was a metallic buzz. Hopefully you'll find it is that without the need to visit the LBS.
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    the noise did seem to eminate from the valve area but no amount of tightening, loosening and swearing stopped the ticking from the wheel. i rang the lbs first thing and then dropped in over lunch and they were very helpful; initially checking the stem and handlebars and then dropping a new wheel in to see if it was the frame.

once they were convinced it was the wheel (they think a spoke or two wasn't tight enough), they happily took an identical wheel off another 08 allez sport and sent me on my way.

top marks for total fitness in bath, if only for looking after my mental wellbeing (15miles of ticking was like torture!)