Just got my new bike

xgriffin
xgriffin Posts: 24
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I've been adviced by some friends that i should alternate my training.

for example i have to cycle 8 miles home everyday.

and he reccomended that 3/5 days i cycle home, i do 16 miles rather than 8

I'm not sure weather this is correct and I was wondering if someone experienced could provide me with an effective training program to lose weight/gain cycling endurance etc.

Also i would appreciate it if someone could explain to me what clothing i need to buy..

I.E Shorts.. Jerseys/tops etc.
As i have read something about having to wear an underlayer and then something over the top?

Thanks

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This was part of why I chose to cycle to work. My advise:

Why not cycle to work everyday possible? The benefits aren't instantly noticeable but after 2 months I've lost about a stone and a sizable percentage of my gut and my stamina has increased.

As you get more accustomed to cycling i.e. your muscles getting used to the journey, commuting shouldn't even be considered part of your training regime it should simply be thought of as your method of getting to work, going to the gym etc. That way your getting fit while not even noticing.

Clothing: Jersey - some short and some long sleeved, lycra padded shorts, coat when it gets really cold, gloves, sunglasses, helmet, clipless pedals and correct shoes will do. (Buy as many Jersey's, lycra shorts as you feel you need). You should be fine.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game