wheel upgrade advice please

sidrhino
sidrhino Posts: 26
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
thinking of wheel & tyre upgrade for my Giant SCR2 and would be grateful for any advice/tips you could offer. Max budget £150 ish.
I weigh 99 kilos or 15 and half stone old money.
ta

Comments

• philak
    philak Posts: 144
    Tyres like the Pro race 2 (folding) will be a decent upgrade if you can still get them. Narrower, lighter and faster rolling than the originals on your bike . If not, something in that vein.

As for wheels, don't expect any massive improvement if you are spending £150 on a set. As someone who has an SCR i went a smilar route and bought Mavic Aksiums thinking i would go faster and the bike would weigh less. I didnt and it doesn't. People will also tell you wheels like Aksiums are stiffer than the wheels that came with the bike. They aren't.

In short i would ask yourself why you want to upgrade and maybe wait until the original eqpt is worn out, by which time you will probably want a new , different bike anyway.

If you are still want to upgrade your wheels then the Fulcrum 7 and 5s get good reviews. Fulcrum racing 5s are £160 at Wiggle at the mo with 20 % off but im not sure about weight limits on them.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Another alternative:

Shimano RS20's
    Rubino Pros
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Two chaps I know have said a wheel upgrade from the SCR's Alex/Formula combo is worthwhile. One has Aksiums, the other Fulcrum 5s. But are you sure you need to upgrade just now? Perhaps you could try a similar bike with them fitted or maybe swap them onto yours for a brief spin to give you some idea.

Either way, tyres would be the first thing I'd change. Lots of people rate Michelin Pro 3 Race or Continental GP4000S Black Chilli highly if you want something light, fast rolling but with good puncture protection. You could save a bit of weight with inner tubes such as Conti Race 28 Light.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Don't know what the wheels are like that come with the SCR2 but, on a similar priced bike, those that came with my Allez Sport were poor. Alexrims AT400s on Specialized hubs (not sure what spokes they were laced with) but had to have them trued a few times within a couple of months.

I've got 2007 Aksiums on that now and while they're perhaps no lighter than the original wheels they've been bombproof so far.

I recently bought a set of Racing 7's as back should I need a spare wheel bringing out to me and personally I'm not a fan. Don't like them and the freehub sounds like one of those awful football rattles. I'm not put off by loud freewheels usually. My Fulcrum Racing 3s are loud and my DT Swiss' are even louder but they're a sound of quality (like shutting the door on an Audi). The Racing 7's sound cheap.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The SCR 2 has the same wheels and tyres as the SCR 3.

The review on this site says that they are heavy and the tyres offer no puncture resistance at all. From experience they don't, the tyres are crap (the bike is fine) and you would do yourself a favour upgrading them.

I have Continental GP 4000s and the difference is noticable, the tyres hold the road better in the wet and dry and is indeed faster than the stock Kenda tyres .

Time and again I'm saying that my SCR 3 could go faster and in that very conversation with a guy in the bike shop he told me not to go mad and upgrade but some wheels Fulcrum 7's wrapped in GP 4000s would help...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • schilbach
    schilbach Posts: 101
    A bit over your budget and i'm not sure how much your wheelset weighs but:

Halo Mercury 1546g for the pair - £235

Cheapest light wheels I've seen seen - looking to upgrade to these from Mavic Askiums

http://www.kinetic-one.co.uk/
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I'd get a pair of conti GP4000s with the black chilli thingy! They just feel better than the Pro Race 2's (IMHO)
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    I recently bought Shimano RS20 with Conti GP4000s to put on my Allez sport and immediately noticed the difference. Would recommend the setup.

Cost £141 from Ribble