New Forks

Bowman42
Bowman42 Posts: 7
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
I have a Giant Cadex ALM1 from 1993, it is a great bike but previously only ridden light trails or on road. I would like to fit suspension forks, I have a feeling the headset is an unusual size, and wondered if anyone could confirm. also would it be worth upgrading the headset at the same time as it is the old threaded type? if not does this seriously restrict my suspension fork choice. any info would be very helpful,

thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The headset could be threaded (most likely) and of more than one size (most likely an inch)

Most modern forks use a 1.1/8th inch threadless steerer and headset, so even if you did change the headset to a threadless one, you would be hard pushed to finfd many forks with a 1inch steerer.

Marzocchi do do one for about 140 quid.
  • Thanks for that, probably a bit expensive for me at the moment. how do I check the headset size? is it the outside dia of the steerer tube? and if it is 1" I assume there is no way of going to 1 1/8 without a new frame.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Correct, OD of the steerer. And correct again, would mean a new frame!

May find a second hand 1inch threaded fork on ebay.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You could get a new headtube put on by argos racing...

but it would be a bit silly.

A 1" headset is quite findable and worthwhile. I'd then stick either the above zocchis, some 2nd hand pace forks (they did 1" steerer for quite a while) or some carbon fibre rigids.
  • Checked it this morning and it is 1 1/8 inch Phew! :D so back to the original question is it worth changing the headset or should I get forks with a threaded tube and keep the original headset.

How easy are these to fit, I am reasonable with a set of spanners but should I just leave it to my local bike shop?

The other question is then which forks to get, I didn't plan on spending more than £100, and if I am changing the headset this reduces the amount I can spend on forks. I have seen some suntour xc60 for £30 are these any good as a first set of suspension forks or should I just save up some more?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    As a bare minimum buy toras, if you can wait and save up £260 will buy you reba SL from merlin, a new headset, stem and spacers and hopefully pay for the fitting as well.

I'd imagine you'll need about £40 for stem headset and fitting, then as you have more money: lower toras<318 toras<reba SL