Sorry, but it needs saying

Coriander
Coriander Posts: 1,326
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
In my role as self-appointed pedant-in-chief, please bear with me while I get a few things off my chest:

Lose - this is when you don't win a race and is a verb.
Loose - this is what the waistbands on your trousers are undoubtedly becoming after all your calorific expenditure NOT racing and is an adjective.

Chapeau - this is the singular form. Those Frenchies, being sneaky, stick an X on the end - chapeaux - to make it plural. So unless you want to really, really congratulate or show some respect to someone use 'chapeau'.

You're - this is contraction of 'you are' and is NEVER used for any other reason.
Your - this is the possessive adjective and will ususally be followed by a noun - your bike, your scalp, etc.

Myself, yourself, etc - these are reflexive pronouns and are only used when the 'doer' and 'receiver' of a verb are the same person. The object pronoun (the pronoun showing the receiver of the verb) is me, you, him, her, us, them.

Now, this will go two ways - I'll either be castigated as a pompous twit or everyone else will add their own bugbears.

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Of and have are not interchangeable.

"I could of just stayed at home"

It's HAVE you halfwit!

"I could have just stayed at home"
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Coriander wrote:

Myself, yourself, etc - these are reflexive pronouns and are only used when the 'doer' and 'receiver' of a verb are the same person. The object pronoun (the pronoun showing the receiver of the verb) is me, you, him, her, us, them.

Er....

I'll need some context and a couple of diagrams

K'Pla!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited August 2008
    Surely as pedant in chief; you should have posted this in the rants or cake stop forum?

Edit:

their and they're those two really wind me up

Their is possession
    They're is short for they are
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not bad. only one spelling mistake that i can see.

But which Law is it that says whenever people start correcting the written word they include at least one error of their own?

On a big plus side at least is is not TXT :wink:

Oh and I do agree with you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Maybe I'll post it there as well. :wink:
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

snuffle blart (parp) oh wassat? I appear to have dozed off again!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Can/could. This is something which you are/were able to do. If you want to make it negative, follow it with 'not' or suffix the word with 'n't'.

I really can't understand this one. I see posts such as "I could unclip, so I fell off and got run over and was killed", which makes no sense until you realise they mean 'could not'.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    nicklouse wrote:
    But which Law is it that says whenever people start correcting the written word they include at least one error of their own?

Muphry’s Law :D
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Coriander as pedant-in-cheif your setting your sites to low all of the above are small cheese compared to those illitterate post that dont have grammer punctuation paragraphs and mention what post they're replying too why o why cant people read theyre posts to see if they make sense in context before hitting the submit button? how some posts get replys are a mistery if its to difficult to interpet ill ignore ithem

aspedantik rants go 3/10
    nicklouse wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    Now, this will go two ways - I'll either be castigated as a pompous twit or everyone else will add their own bugbears.
    :?:

:wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I find I add value when reviewing my colleagues' reports by changing "compare to" to "compare with". Unless, of course, "compare to" is actually correct in the context - and it rarely is. My colleagues usually thank me in the usual fashion by buying me a pint of beer after work. :)
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Peasoup
    Peasoup Posts: 63
    Crapuad, it was all going so well, but...

"how some posts get replys are a mistery if its to difficult to interpet ill ignore ithem"

allow me...

How some post get replies is a mystery. If it's too difficult to interpret, I'll ignore it.

bar too high??
    :?

[/quote]
  • Peasoup
    aargh caught...

How some posts get replies is a mystery. If it's too difficult to interpret, I'll ignore it.
  • Brakes & breaks.
  • Littigator
    Crapaud wrote:
    Coriander as pedant-in-cheif your setting your sites to low all of the above are small cheese compared to those illitterate post that dont have grammer punctuation paragraphs and mention what post they're replying too why o why cant people read theyre posts to see if they make sense in context before hitting the submit button? how some posts get replys are a mistery if its to difficult to interpet ill ignore ithem

aspedantik rants go 3/10
    nicklouse wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    :?:

:wink:

I've just laughed my lung up!

• Peasoup
    Personally, I was quite impressed with the use of a question mark.

Apostrophy use is a different matter though...
  • An apostrophe is not required when simply pluralising a noun.

This is another of the common mistake's I see on here. (See Murphys law above).
    I've forgotten my PIN for the pain barrier.
  • Peasoup
    " illitterate post that dont have grammer punctuation"

dont??
  • Coriander wrote:

These are not mutually exclusive...
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • Peasoup
    Crapaud
    Upon re-reading, perhaps I initially missed the irony.
    Ra-Ra
  • I like it...

My inner pedant is sated.

:D
  • Littigator
    Coriander

Are you pedant in chief

Pedant In Chief

or

Pedant-In-Chief?

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Oranges are simliar to tangerines. Apples are different from pineapples.

Things cannot be almost unique.

It is generally wrong to suffix bicycle components with the word "set". The words wheelset, crankset, brakeset, frameset and tubeset should never be used. "Chainset" and "headset" are acceptable if used in moderation.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I am the chief pedant.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Greg T
    edited August 2008
    Peasoup wrote:
    Personally, I was quite impressed with the use of a question mark.

Apostrophy use is a different matter though...

Tomfoolery wrote:
    An apostrophe is not required when simply pluralising a noun.

It's a head to head!

Their can be only one.... (see what I did their.... BIG FLAG)

• dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Coriander wrote:
    In my role as self-appointed pedant-in-chief, please bear with me while I get a few things off my chest:

Lose - this is when you don't win a race and is a verb.
    Loose - this is what the waistbands on your trousers are undoubtedly becoming after all your calorific expenditure NOT racing and is an adjective.

Chapeau - this is the singular form. Those Frenchies, being sneaky, stick an X on the end - chapeaux - to make it plural. So unless you want to really, really congratulate or show some respect to someone use 'chapeau'.

You're - this is contraction of 'you are' and is NEVER used for any other reason.
    Your - this is the possessive adjective and will ususally be followed by a noun - your bike, your scalp, etc.

You're post has some merit. However I feel there is no need to loose your head over a few spelling/gramatical errors. I believe that generally your post would have significant issues with myself.

Da dum cha.
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    What's worse is when such abuse of language is sanctioned by authority.

"Reading will be our next station stop"

"station" MEANS "stop".

"Reading will be our next stop stop"
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • Greg T
    Parkey wrote:

"station" MEANS "stop".

Well it might be your safety word but it won't work for everyone now will it....

"STATION that it's too hot and these clamps are really chaffing"

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Greg T wrote:
    Parkey wrote:

"station" MEANS "stop".

Well it might be your safety word but it won't work for everyone now will it....

"STATION that it's too hot and these clamps are really chaffing"
    But as we all know Station is really an alien who has the ability to split his body into two smaller versions of himself.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    PIN number........ or personal identification number number :shock:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • whome
    whome Posts: 167
    Heading a bit of track? The points in the the original post were mostly issues that can affect comprehension of the sentence.
    Training, highway design and increasing cycle numbers are important to safety. Helmets are just a red herring.