Why are people easily offended on Bikeradar?

2»

Comments

• Er, I want a light blue, steel framed, campagnolo equipped, british stickered audax style bike but I'm not game to post now.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Er, I want a light blue, steel framed, campagnolo equipped, british stickered audax style bike but I'm not game to post now.
    Go look at the FAQs - this one comes up all the time...

:wink:
  • At least you're not quite as rough as the regulars on another bored (deliberate spelling) I post on. Any newbie turns up there and asks a dumb questions gets told to 'fark right orf' pdq. Only the thick-skinned survive.
    Regards

Whitbags.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I think the search function doesn't; function that is.

E.g. I searched for ISP cases - for a case that can take a bike that has an ISP. Tried all the options but of course 100s of threads came up all with ISP and cases but not necessarily together.

Or am I doing it wrong (as the vicar said to the actress... :D )
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Search function is a bag of crap...seriously.

I dislike this view that people have to use the search function rather than ask a simple question...ok there are blindingly obvious occasions when using a search may be preferable but tbh, wheres the harm in asking and striking up a conversation/debate about a specific subject that may have been covered before ? Who's to say, things may not of changed or different views/results/opinions might be abound since the last time the subject was approached ?

I moderate on a car forum that has 3 or 4 times the amount of daily active users that BikeRadar does. It is a very fast moving and busy forum. We DON'T badger people asking for help as to why they didn't use the search function. (which does adequately work ;)) We may suggest nicely that they use the search or just give them the answer they need...simple, no drama.

Being rude and abrupt isn't a nice way to treat people, especially new people that may not have the basic knowledge to even use a search function (or one that works;)) and in alienating, people by blasting them with "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" probably won't endear them to come back.

I've noticed there are one or two smartarses on here...Even noticed a mod correcting someones spelling in a bit of a smart arse manner, I mean c'mon, get a life and stop being such a plonker :)
  • Surley the fact that tthe threads have titles means if you don't want to read about somthing you don't have too!!!
  • P.S I now see somone has said this already so I apologise for this and now agree that there should be no repition on this site :lol:
  • P.P.S

And correct spelling too!!!
  • -Liam- wrote:
    Search function is a bag of crap...seriously.

I dislike this view that people have to use the search function rather than ask a simple question...ok there are blindingly obvious occasions when using a search may be preferable but tbh, wheres the harm in asking and striking up a conversation/debate about a specific subject that may have been covered before ? Who's to say, things may not of changed or different views/results/opinions might be abound since the last time the subject was approached ?

I moderate on a car forum that has 3 or 4 times the amount of daily active users that BikeRadar does. It is a very fast moving and busy forum. We DON'T badger people asking for help as to why they didn't use the search function. (which does adequately work ;)) We may suggest nicely that they use the search or just give them the answer they need...simple, no drama.

Being rude and abrupt isn't a nice way to treat people, especially new people that may not have the basic knowledge to even use a search function (or one that works;)) and in alienating, people by blasting them with "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" probably won't endear them to come back.

I've noticed there are one or two smartarses on here...Even noticed a mod correcting someones spelling in a bit of a smart ars* manner, I mean c'mon, get a life and stop being such a plonker :)

+1, search is a bag of crap, may as well use google :shock:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    To be fair the serach function does work ok if you select "search for all terms" rather than "Search for any terms or use query as entered"

Using "Search for any terms or use query as entered" will give you anything with any of the words you have entered - you need to use a proper "query" to use that function.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    edited October 2008
    sory had probs posting
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business