'm 6'11, and need a mountain bike

Zbigniew
Zbigniew Posts: 17
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy a bike, to be used for getting to and from work, leisure cycling through woods and tarka trails, and eventually i plan on cycling accross the country (yeah big step, but i used to cycle alot, and im in good shape).

Unfortunatly iv forgotten everything from when i was a biker.

I need some help deciding what bike to get. I was thinking something at the £500 and under bracket, thats reliable, long lasting, and will be suitable for riding across the country (which will be through country lanes, fields etc). And remember im 6'11.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I thing it goes without saying you will need a frame on the larger end of the scale! Some brands do XL, even XXL or 23 inch plus frames. The key will be trying a few out for the best fit. The aptly named Giant has a bigger than usually largest frame. Specializeds Rockhopper also has a 23inch frame, and a a good bike too.

Don't be afraid to ask the dealer about longer seatposts and higher bar positions.

Another option is the 29er bike, with larger wheels.
  • jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    i am 6'6 and ride a specalized 23' rockhopper, cost about 500 sheets. i feel its a good size, maybe even a bit on the big side
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Zbigniew wrote:
    I'm looking to buy a bike, to be used for getting to and from work, leisure cycling through woods and tarka trails, and eventually i plan on cycling accross the country (yeah big step, but i used to cycle alot, and im in good shape).

Unfortunatly iv forgotten everything from when i was a biker.

I need some help deciding what bike to get. I was thinking something at the £500 and under bracket, thats reliable, long lasting, and will be suitable for riding across the country (which will be through country lanes, fields etc). And remember im 6'11.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Another suggestion for a 29er. Have a look here: http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61 for 29er info (unbiased as well!)
    and here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95 for clydes/ tall riders.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    I'll officially hand over my title of the tallest here to you - I am a mere 6ft 7inches, a tiddler compared to you!

Also look at lengthening your stem, from my experience I found that a standard stem lenght cramped me up on the bike, I am running a 110mm at the moment and don't get any back pains at all.
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    I'm 6ft3 and ride a 22" frame, more than big enough for me with the seat more or less as low as it will go.

Good luck mate, I'm just getting back into it now after being out of the game for a few years in my late teens/early 20's, loving every second of it, my fitness levels have rocketed in a short space of time so can only get better from here on, a 20 mile hack is like a stroll in the park!
  • Zbigniew
    Thanks for all your help guys, gave me a good idea with where to look (what brands etc)

My bike theory sucks, still. What should i look for inparticular in a bike?

IE Types of wheels, or type of frame - anything

• supersonic
    One that fits ;-)

Good hydraulically damped fork and hydro disc brakes will make a big difference at £500 ie a fork like an RS Tora.
  • Zbigniew
    Im gona start makign a small list of what to look for 'ideally' :P im

I'm looking into RockHoppers and 29er's.

Also, by any off-chance, does anyone know a decent mountain bike outlet to visit in North devon?
  • ratty2k
    Dunno if its much help as they are out of your range pricewise, but Turner do Sasquatch sizing (XXL/23") for riders over 6ft 5"
    My Pics !

• Zbigniew
    well today i ran up to a decent bike shop,. two towns over. Spoke to the guy in there for a while, and he says to look for: (Bare in mind i told him he was a complete noob, for you guys all the following is completely ****ing obvious)

9 speed (27 gears), lockout on fork (fork of which should be 32' in diameter for someone like me), shimano hubs (think those are wheels arnt they?) And for £600 should have hydro disk breaks.

Im gonna keep looking around, but if anyone could point me to any specific bikes just to help out :P im picking up bike theory along the way (ie parts etc).
  • supersonic
    Very few XC/trail bikes don't have that as minimum spec nowadays which is good.

Agree with the fork thing: 32mm stanchions (like the Tora and Recon) improve stiffness.

I really would take a look at the 23inch Rockhopper Disc.
  • Zbigniew
    Supersonic - wow... That bike has pretty much everything i need, doesnt it? Nice bike. Mmmmm....

I've got ages untill i habe the money to get it. Gonna keep looking around (obv) and try it out.

Meanwhile, i'll need to scratch up on my bike knowledge.
  • keep reading in here then, i wasnt exactly stupid about my bike before, but there are very few questions worth asking that cant be answered by those in here :D
  • Zbigniew
    Ahhh the Specialized Rockhopper Disc 08 isnt a 29er is it.
  • supersonic
    No, but do try it! And 29ers if you come across any.
  • Zbigniew
    Ahh. Well nothings perfect :P BUT I dont know if im understanding these specs right

http://www.tredz.co.uk/products-Rockhop ... _13112.htm

Does it say there that the wheels are 26" ? Thats still pretty big isnt it.

If so..how much difference would that make from a 29er? Like roughly, how many MPH would it sacrifice?
  • supersonic
    Well, the bike will be geared 11% higher. Rolling resistance will be slightly reduced, and the bigger wheels track better offer bumps.

Same reason kids have 20" wheeled bikes, big people could be better off with bigger wheels!
  • Zbigniew
    Yah thats what i thought...

Ideally, i need that bike but with 29' wheels. Any ideas at all?
  • supersonic
    I have not seen too many about. BUT, I have just looked and the Rockhopper is available as a 29er! Again, not seen any!

OnOne do a few too ie the Scandal.
  • Zbigniew
    Whey! Yeah i just found that too. The RockHopper 08 Disc can come as a 29er. Cant find any links anywhere for it though...How much more would it cost? roughly.

I cant find any sellers of the OnOne Scandal.
  • supersonic
    Should cost the same!
  • Zbigniew
    Get innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Thanks alot Supersonic, you've been a massive help :)

You'll start seeing more of me round here.
  • supersonic
    Nice one!

And onone:

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/O ... ne_24.html

Would require a journey to test thhough.
  • ratty2k
    On-One and Brant will help you out considerably more than other bigger brands as you get to email the designer direct. (he can be a wee bit blunt, but thats what getting lots of emails does to you! :lol: )
    Bikes are well specced for the money, and offer quite possibly the best value for money going IMO. I mean £125 for the summer 456 frame? Bargain! I have on of On-ones 29ers and love it, although, its getting converted back to rigid singlespeed.
    My Pics !

• Zbigniew
    Thanks alot Ratty2k, just emailed him, and am looking around his website.

So im guessing there kind of a custom team?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    On One is a great company which sells direct and with very little in the way of overheads so althougth they don't have the buying power of the major brands they can stil often better them for value. The 21"Scandal has a longer top tube length (reach) than the 23" Specialized Rockhopper (26" wheel). I couldn't find geometry for the 29" Rockhopper though.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • but he's 6'11"!!

Even our 21in frame is going to be silly-small for him.

I've passed (by email) on this one.
  • Zbigniew
    haha yeah THanks Brant, i emailed you yesterday.

Its cool.... Im thinking towards the Rockhopper.Going to ring the BikeShed (barnstaple) tomorrow, and talk about what they could do.
  • Another thing...

In regard to the Rockhopper 08 Disc 29, im looking for something reliable, and long lasting. How long would this bike last bearing in mind i wont be doign anything "hardcore", and reliability? How does it hold up in these areas.

Im going to try to haggle with my local dealer for this bike. Any little bits i could ask to have thrown in? i was thinking pump and / or repair kit. What do you guys think
  • supersonic
    It will last as well or better than anything else for the money. Has some solid reliable parts. Of course you need to keep any bike maintained and serviced though.