Dirt in you shoes !!!

everogere
everogere Posts: 68
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
I do a daily 9 mile commute along a gravel and shingle track but have to stop at least 3 times to remove the small bits of gravel that flips up into my shoes. I wear a trainer type shoe but have also tried a boot type trainer with not much success. I have a rear mudguard which doesnt seems to help much.
I was wondering whether any other members have manged to solve this problem. Would a front crud guard help. I dont want to fit a set of full mudguards.
Any suggestions??

Comments

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    When turning left your right leg should be up and the left down, and when turning right the oposite.
    That way you'll avoid the dirt that splashes from the front wheel, and instead finding dirt in the shoes you'll find it under it. :lol: At least it's easyer to clean it under.

But don't do this on sharp corners when you lean on your bike more, because the pedal may catch the ground and you'll fall.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I don't seem to have that problem (maybe because all the trails are so wet) but I do have front Crud catchers so they may be worth ago.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Moose.
    Moose. Posts: 43
    Xtreem wrote:
    When turning left your right leg should be up and the left down, and when turning right the oposite.
    That way you'll avoid the dirt that splashes from the front wheel, and instead finding dirt in the shoes you'll find it under it. :lol: At least it's easyer to clean it under.

But don't do this on sharp corners when you lean on your bike more, because the pedal may catch the ground and you'll fall.
    Err, you sure you've got that round the correct way? To corner at speed you should always have your outer foot down to help press the tyres into the ground. This has nothing to do with getting dirt in your shoes, but will stop you skidding off on every corner.

As for stopping the dirt getting into your shoes, wear thicker socks and tie your shoe laces up properly. I've never had a problem with my 5-10s and I don't ever use mud guards either ;)
  • what about shoe covers that us roadie use?
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Err, you sure you've got that round the correct way? To corner at speed you should always have your outer foot down to help press the tyres into the ground.
    Yes, yes, that's correct. But I think the guy don't push very hard or traveling some downhill section to go to work, so with the feet at the wrong place on slower curves won't cause him to fall, probably............. :roll: .