GT Avalanche 1.0 disc or Kona Blast?

clarkie28
clarkie28 Posts: 134
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey Guys!

I am relatively new to biking for fun and am thinking of getting a new bike!
I used to have a cheap Giant bike that felt well built, but as i didnt know too much about bikes (and i still dont!) was sold a bike that was too big for me!

So i bought an Orbea mountain bike for £250 but it doesnt feel that well put together as say the Giant i used to have which was cheaper!

Iam looking to spend £500 for a better bike. Which is the better one, the GT Avalanche 1.0 disc or the Kona Blast? Is one known to be better than the other? Or can anyone recommend another bike for the same sort of money?

Thanks very much for your help! Clarkie28.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Kona is a slightly different beast to the GT - more relaxed geometry which you may or may not like. Parts wise it is poor value - the GT trounces it in that respect. Test them out if you can.

More ideas in the What Bike thread for xc and trail bikes.
  • I would get on merlin cycles http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1380&categoryId=129 £359 :shock:

Order the Hayes stroker rydes or trails with it if you want hydro's still under £500
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • I lately have bought a gt avalanche 1 and i for the price they are very good bikes and would recomend one
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    No question - Get the GT Avalanche; it's probably the best bike for £500
  • kenone
    kenone Posts: 113
    A friend of mine just got an avalanche 1.0 as his first bike and is well pleased with it. Im pretty sure kona dont spec theyre cheaper bikes that great and your really payin for the name (good frames though).
    Get your dog off my lawn!
  • gkf9
    gkf9 Posts: 176
    Cant go far wrong with an Avalanche...i got one well happy with it!!
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    MBR did a head to head in its July 08 edition and put the Blast as no. 1 for the second year running with a 10/10, ahead of the GT which came equal 4th with 8/10. I suppose it all depends on personal preference, but I bought my wife the Blast on this recommendation. I have an issue with the fork being too stiff at the mo, but I took it out myself (>100kg on a 16" frame) and found it a (excuse the pun) blast. It was smoother than my usual ride, a Focus Black Forest which retails 200-odd notes higher. The fork was a lot suppler after that!

You can always upgrade if the bug gets you.

S
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Have a look at Genesis or Cube. Both good bikes, decent spec for the money. The Genesis Core 10 comes in at around £449, and has a nice frame and a good level of kit. I think the fork is a Suntour but cant rememner which one, so that might let it down a tad.

The Cube Attention is fairly decent, but again a budget fork. I've just decided to go for a Cube Acid.
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ride feel and fit is very important - but so are good parts. You can buy 100 quid bikes with a good ride position, but doesnt mean it will perform off road. IMHO this is what lets MBR down - they test bikes with a narrow field of few, concentrating on head angle and stem length. Beginners need bikes that fits well, rides well, and have decent parts for the money. Kona blast would not even make a shortlist for me. Sure try it out. I am sure you will find better.
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Well Clarkie, I might disagree with Supersonic on some things (but not many), but he hit the nail on the head - "try it out" is the best advice. You don't state whereabouts you live, but I'm sure there's a good lbs a short drive away that will let you try out a few alternatives and offer advice on set up etc. It's a big purchase that you are going to live with for a few years, so maybe hire out a couple on your shortlist before you make up your mind.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll love it.

S