Is your cycle club cliquey?

2»

Comments

• Ste_S wrote:
    The biggest club in the area I found to be very cliquey. The fact you had to ring up some blokes mobile number and ask him if it was OK to come along on the club runs was a bit too much for me.

Went out with another club in the area. The first few rides they tried repeatedly to drop me but was seemingly accepted after that.

Maybe that was to insure that there was someone there to look after you on your first few goes ?

Possibly, but I didn't get that impression. I think it was more of a "will you please let me come along me you, pretty please" thing. I asked around a bit more and there seemed to be some kind of secret society going on if you wanted to go out on a club run.

Fortunately I got in touch with another local club which I ride with through the week and a triathlon club I ride with during the weekend. Both were very friendly, and even though I asked both were happy to let me ride with them without joining the clubs themselves (i don't TT or anything anyway).
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    Not ours...... I got a call from someone wanting to join our club ride this Sunday :D

Our club is probably too small to get cliquey, usually only 5 or so out on Sundays and the only rules are don't abandon slow riders and don't moan at the loonies racing for the 30 signs as long as they wait after the silliness is over. The leader is God.... his route, his ride,, we take it in turns to devise the routes.

We have personality clashes but taking sides is avoided and they protagonists sort it out themselves. We all get on really and bitching about other people doesn't go very far. I think the smaller the club the less we want to upset and exclude other members.

The club in the next town wouldn't put up with the anarchy that goes on during our club rides .... when I was a member of a MTB club we used to join in on this clubs rides and cause havoc and consternation.. I think we got banned [ several times :lol: ] the club ride leader still gives me the evil eye every now and then .
    Club rides are for sheep
  • I would rather not say what club it is as i would quite like to join them. But with the success of the cycling squad at the olympics, cycling is going to be more popular for young people, i hope, so if i cant find a way in, how would a parent in order to help their child??
    If the writing is on the wall, the cycling is the new golf, then god help us. Becasue if ever there was such an elitist and cliquey club it is in the golf club house.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Look on the BC website for a phone number. If that fails, PM me the club name
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Mog Uk wrote:
    vermooten wrote:
    Manchester Wheelers is very friendly and welcoming. I think cliquiness can be in the eye of the beholder.

+ 1

+2 :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Nuggs wrote:
    PostieJohn wrote:
    But I just don't know where to go (West Sussex) as, I'm very much the type of person who would 'tar everyone with the same brush', if my 1st experience is a bit dodgy.
    Where are you based? I'm in West Sussex and I'll be looking for a club next year, when I've got a few more miles under my wheels. I don't know where to go either, although VC In-Gear sound like a decent bunch.

I'm down on the coast, between Worthing and Bognor, although looking out the window, this morning, I might just take up swimming.
  • My club www.ogmorevalleywheelers.com is totally the opposite.
    A very welcoming club.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I think ctc clubs in general will have suitable rides for everyone.Some short and slow, some long and fast. I could imagine that if you wanted to join the local road racing club you would be expected to show some form or at least an eyeballs-out tendency.
    When you first join any group of people who know each other they might talk more in the group than to you for a bit.
    Our club are so pleased to find a new member you might have to tell them to shut up.

Soemtimes people arrive on a cheap BSO. That can slow down the ride a bit, but the usual solution is nobody minds, occasionally the group has split. I suppose if someone wants to carry on indefinitely riding a very slow bike they might notice that it put certain stresses on the group, because in general we all have effective, if not necessarily expensive bikes. Usually new members adapt to the style of the group. If someone comes out for a while then stops there is always discussion about why and what we might do to get them back.

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Ste_S:
    Hey - what are Wolves Wheelies like? I haven't tried to join on the basis that I am probably useless on a club run.
    Whats the best way to get in??
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • Well i wouldnt know if my club is cliquey, becasue they wont even answer an email asking for some basic info. Of the 4 clubs in my area, i have sent an email to them all asking for info. One replied pretty much straight away, one just did a cut and paste from their website, and two didnt even bother to reply.
    Its time i joined a club and got into some group rides, but if this is the attitude now, well F*&K them, i can do without it .

2 people have failed to reply - not two clubs - of course there could be a good reason why they haven't replied but even if they just can't be bothered why write off the whole club on that basis?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    looking at the website I would say they look as though t hey would have all sorts from 8oyr olds to 20yr old racers. Get in touch with them

Tel nos and email addresses on club websites may be old, so keep trying to establish contact.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I went out on a club ride with my local club yesterday and found it to be an entirely pleasant affair! I was coached around it when needed picking up hand signals etc.... I even got the new boys get the tea/cake/bacon butty routine :lol:

We generally rode together, but on a few quiet hills told to put as much effort in as we liked and re-group at the top and no one made an attempt to drop me!!

I do get the feeling by some of the conversations that like all groups of different people there is some "politics" within the club, but nothing put me off and I'll defo be back to ride with them.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I don't think so. Been with them just under a year now & have found all to be warm/friendly/welcoming. It's a diverse bunch with many different interests (club run, sportive, audax, race, TT etc) but a common theme of getting on a bike & riding it...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • The people i have emailed where the contacts given on BC website, or from the contact us page on their website. Also, i didnt expect a reply the same day, it has been weeks now. So i think i have given them a fair amount of time.
    Ste you have a PM
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    unclemalc wrote:
    Ste_S:
    Hey - what are Wolves Wheelies like? I haven't tried to join on the basis that I am probably useless on a club run.
    Whats the best way to get in??

We're excellent of course ! :wink:

What sort of distances can you ride ? If you can do 40-50miles solo you should have no problems with one of the club runs. We normally have a 2-3 different groups starting out from Hugh Porter Way on a Sunday at 9.30am. If you do come, introduce yourself to the person leading the ride and we'll make sure you're looked after. Might be a bit quiet this Sunday, it's our Hill Climb on the Saturday.

Probably the best thing to do is to come to Aldersley stadium on a Friday from 7.30pm (as long as it's not raining :roll:) with your bike and a helmet, and ask for one of the club coaches There's a big range of abilities and ages (from 5 to 60) , with a number of different groups split up in and around the track.

Would be good to see you.

Edit - Howie don't have a PM if you've sent one ?
  • Thanks Ste_S. Can't do this w/e as I am on a charity ride on the Sunday... :D

but willl get to Aldersley asap after that.
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • Anyone who says click instead of clique gets a thumbs up from me
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Found anything else good down there Schloppy?! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Wish my club was more elitist. They tolerate guys in bad socks, cheap bikes and sky kit.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Personally, I'd never join a cycling club that would have me as a member.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Said Groucho Marx.
    But your version, which is identical to his, is much better.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Said Groucho Marx.
    But your version, which is identical to his, is much better.
    'I got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.'
  • Raised a smile.... Waiting for the slower members??????
    Our club runs, back in the day, mornings stay together but maintain a relatively fast pace.
    Stop for a bit of lunch in a cafe miles and miles away from home.
    Post pranial, start off together but 50ish miles from home, half-wheeling would start. Slowly but surely the pressure would go on.
    Then it would degenerate in to one long line. Next thing some sh*t who was feeling strong would put the hammer down.
    We did sort of look after anyone that blew up, probably because someone else was knackered as well!!!!!!
    Yes we were cliquey...... We raced as a team(s).
    I think you have to decide am I joining a club for sociable rides or is my objective to race as a member of their team?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    priory wrote:
    I think ctc clubs in general will have suitable rides for everyone.Some short and slow, some long and fast.

I was going to mention CTC myself. They have graded rides to suit everyone: 1* = 10 mile potter around to 3* (30mile, 16mph+) plus MTB ride. Our local CTC also lays on unofficial '4*' rides once a month for the faster guys or those who want to push themselves.

Certainly very welcoming and accommodating, I've met several people of a similar ability and we go riding outside of club rides too now. Very little snobbery but still the odd bit of politics, easy enough to ignore if you don't care for it though.

Have a look if there's one near you: http://www.ctc.org.uk/local-groups