Ulpha to Eskdale

I think the signpost in Ulpha read Burkish Pass, but cannot find it on any map. However, the scary bit was the 25% ski ramp that I saw as I drove past the junction on Sunday on the way to seathwaite tarn for a walk up Dow Crag (what an impressive lump of rock that is too). Anyone know it or ridden that route?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think the signpost in Ulpha read Burkish Pass, but cannot find it on any map. However, the scary bit was the 25% ski ramp that I saw as I drove past the junction on Sunday on the way to seathwaite tarn for a walk up Dow Crag (what an impressive lump of rock that is too). Anyone know it or ridden that route?

Sure it never said Birker Fell?...that starts with a 25% section...and heads up over to the King George Pub in Eskdale...where you can dink right and head for the one and only Hardashell Pass....its a fair climb but tougher the opposite way.....
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I've done it - makes a nice loop with Hardknott. To be honest, it seemed a lot steeper in the car than it did on the bike. It's a great downhill off Birker Fell to the pub that Richyboy mentions.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    It will be Birker Fell. Coming out of the Duddon valley, it is in the direction of Nether Wasdale, that close - might as well head down to Wasdale Head Hotel. Good campsite at Santon Bridge.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    IIRC classic "short" hardnott loop from ulverston/barrow direction (my folks live in ulverston)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    It sounds like Birker Fell. I do a run from Kendal over Grizebeck, Broughton, Ulpha, Birker, Hardknott, Wrynose, Ambleside and home. I also do this in reverse and its a good ride out either way.
  • mididoctors
    LeighB wrote:
    It sounds like Birker Fell. I do a run from Kendal over Grizebeck, Broughton, Ulpha, Birker, Hardknott, Wrynose, Ambleside and home. I also do this in reverse and its a good ride out either way.

you guys are spoilt for weekend rides

which way to come into grizebeck? hammer down 590.. 5092

or crook road then back roads oxen park lowick 5092?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • LeighB
    At the week end I go out in the mornings so the road is quiet A590 & A5092. If I do the reverse route I can add Gummers Howe Road and Scout Scar/Brigsteer Brow into the route home to avoid most ofthe A590.
  • mididoctors
    LeighB wrote:
    At the week end I go out in the mornings so the road is quiet A590 & A5092. If I do the reverse route I can add Gummers Howe Road and Scout Scar/Brigsteer Brow into the route home to avoid most ofthe A590.

I find the 590 almost unridable now... of course coming back via ambelside means you avoid the stretch between newby bridge and spark bridge which is the worst section especially spark bridge to the bouth rusland valley turnoffs...

but if your doing the loop in reverse you have to tackle that 590 stretch?
  • Aah yes, Birker fell, I knew burk was in it somewhere....
    LeighB wrote:

You are either very lucky or simply mad! I presume "do a run" means ride a bicycle.... :D
  • LeighB
    Doing the reverse loop come off the A5092 and go down into Spark Bridge, up and over into Bouth and follow the little back lanes to Newby Bridge.
  • mididoctors
    its great riding up there..

i got to get up there soon...