rucksacks

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Anyone got experience of those rucksacks that have a wire frame to keep them off your back? They're pricey, but are they worth it? I've been pannier-ed till now.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've just started using one - Deuter Race. It definitely has a less sweat-inducing effect than my other 'on-the-back' Deuter.

The Deuter Race doesn't hold loads of stuff - but that's a good thing because it means less weight on your back.
    WMB71.gt_packs.deu_xair-400-75.jpg

Here's the chap
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have a BerghausFreeflow rucksack. It certainly works brilliantly in keeping the back cool and dry but I would never choose a backpack over panniers for cycling. They can induce backache, they can interfere with a helmet at the back preventing free head movement, and they can feel unstable and top heavy. Panniers are the best solution.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    new bike wont take panniers though. still use them on a commuter
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wingnuts are highly rated too, though i've never tried one.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op own range Revolution Stow bags are fantastic. I've been using them for about 6 years now and only replaced the original one last year when the zip broke through trying to cram too much stuff it it and I used that as an excuse to upgrade to the bigger Stow Expert. I've still got the original, as with a new zip it'd be as good as new.

They're identical to Vaude's own cycling range but in better colours and £10 cheaper. Very very comfortable too, you hardly know you're wearing it. Keep in mind though that you will still get a sweaty back. The mesh helps but it's not a cure, though I expect this is the same story with any cycling ruckack.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    alfablue wrote:
    I have a BerghausFreeflow rucksack. It certainly works brilliantly in keeping the back cool and dry but I would never choose a backpack over panniers for cycling. They can induce backache, they can interfere with a helmet at the back preventing free head movement, and they can feel unstable and top heavy. Panniers are the best solution.

It's horses for courses though, I wouldn't dream of using panniers for mtbing, although i dream of them for commuting. If you rucksac is interfering with you helmet then it isn't the right size/fitted properly.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    alfablue wrote:

It's horses for courses though, I wouldn't dream of using panniers for mtbing, although i dream of them for commuting. If you rucksac is interfering with you helmet then it isn't the right size/fitted properly.

Well of course it is too big, and I have used a smaller one for mtb'ing, but for my commute it wouldn't offer enough space. Yes indeed, horses for courses, but for road riding panniers are better IMHO. I was responding without really having any idea of the intended use.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been using a Deuter Race X-Air for 6 years and it's still going strong - it was expensive at £50 but it's well made and really comfortable - I wouldn't want to use any other sort of rucksac for any heavy efforts - it's great for running too. Size-wise I can squeeze in a change of clothes, a towel and have enough room for lunch - leave the shoes at work!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    +1 for the Revolution Stow. I have panniers too but when I'm doing a light commute or similar the backpack makes more sense and on long rides I can carry extra food and water (it's compatible with camelbak bladders and similar). It's a bit more 'aero' than panniers on a windy day too!
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Another Deuter Race X user here. I like mine a lot.