Another Newbie

Quicklee99
Quicklee99 Posts: 34
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi guys

I'm just bought a mountain bike yesterday a GT aggressor XC2 which I'm very happy with. I wanted a bike to help with fitness more than anything....There's only so much I can do on wii fit. lol

I spent most of the day at a local park and did not want to some home, the only thing I found is my "air saddle" is rock hard, went for another cycle this morning (5 mile round trip) to the post office and I could not even bare to sit down. haha Are there any saddles that still look as stylish and sleek as my bel air RT but comfortable?

Also where is a good place to find local cycle routes?....I'm looking for more like park terrain than road riding. I'm in Surrey so needs to be within the county as I don't have a bike rack at the moment.

I'm not sure if this should be disclosed for fear of being lynched but I am a keen motorcyclist too :D however maybe with my new found fun I will have a bit more respect for other road users. :p

Leigh

Comments

• beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I'd give the Bel air a reasonable time 'cos your rear end will suffer whatever the saddle till your riding more regularly. Then if you're still suffering maybe look at alternatives then, I changed my Bel air for a Charge Spoon recently which I find more comfortable.
    Some padded shorts are definately worth investing in!
    As for routes an OS Explorer Map shows all bridle paths/routes etc if you get one for your area (Smiths and Waterstones sell them)
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    download google earth, it's free and lets you survey local routes and also get dizzy looking at everest top-down in 3d oooooh that's high!
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    Does Google earth have an option to show bridle paths/routes? Or is it a case of zooming right in and seeing what you could potentially ride down? Haven't got time to have a mess with it at the moment.
  • Cheers guys will look into that.

I'm tempted to go for another ride now, but wondering if I should give my arse a rest (no puns intended there!)
  • Wear 2 pairs of cycle shorts for a whille .

It'll pad your b*m nicely while it gets used to the saddle.

Then slowly for shorter rides , ride with only on pair of cycle shorts.

It happens to all of us !

:)
  • Well since I've had the bike (3/4 days) each day I've done more miles on it than the previous :D

The seat is starting to feel more comfortable though, oh an I got my first puncture yesterday so popped down to halfords and got a repair kit an some more inner tubes (3 for 2 offer) :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Remember that rest and recovery is just as important as the riding! Especially if you are new to it. Let those muscles build!