Review of my new cheap wheel/tyre upgrade

lochindaal
lochindaal Posts: 475
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Due to all the help from this forum in making my choice I thought I would review my purchase and provide some feedback.

I bought Shimano RS20 wheels and Conti GP4000s tyres to put on a Specialized Allez Sport. I was a bit dubious if it would make a difference without spending a huge amount and after my first proper ride today I am glad to say it did.

The cost of the combined upgrade was £141 from Ribble.

Fisrt of all the tyres were easy to put on.

Out on the road I really could feel the difference. It felt a lot smoother and if it was easier to maintain my cruising speed if not slightly faster. Going up hills I am never fast anyway but again it did feel slightly easier to keep a smooth rhythm going. Today was also very wet at time and I felt completely confident at all times and not expecting to fall.

For reference I weigh 13.5st so I had wondered if I would have to make a very expensive wheel upgrade to notice anything but definately not the case.

Comments

• daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    Must admit i am in the same boat with my Spesh Allez 27 speed at the moment. Looked at Fulcrum 7, Fulcrum 5 and your shimanos which you have got.

I have decided to leave it until after the winter and look in the Spring, I may decided to trade the bike in though as i want to start club riding.

Good choice though, the Fulcrum 7 seem unreliable (after reading reviews) and Fulcrum 5 seem to have noisy hubs !!!!