Bike Name / info

Diebliksem
Diebliksem Posts: 4
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
hey guys,

I recently came across a mtb name that is unfamiliar to me. the guy tels me a bought it about 7 or 8 years back. never used it for full mountain biking.

the frame looks robust ( aluminium) and it does have all the neccesary Shimano parts fitted. doesnt have shock front or rear.

the name of the bike is a Shockwave and the model is a Okuma.

or the make is a Okuma and the model is a Shockwave.

i cant find anything on this make and model.

will some one shed some light on this for me?

thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    was it bought from Halfords?

Cheap and not very nice.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • i have absolutly no idea where he bought it.

everything looks like it can handle a good mountain bike trail. exept for the front shocks, but that easy to replace.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looks can be wrong.

can you get a picture?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yes the make is shockwave

i have a shockwave bike myself and tbh unless your a 12 year old boy who will only use it for riding around to his freinds house dont get one.

ive had no end of dificulty with mine, sure it was cheap but i wish id spent the extra on a better bike.

but they dont have a website and halfords sells them so maybe email customer services?

hope that helps :?
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Looks can be wrong.

can you get a picture?

i will get a picture up in a couple of days time.

i did take it for a ride, handled good and was very solid. its about 6,5kg.

thanks for the help sofar.

does any one have the customer e-mail for Halfords?

thanks
  • GibboGT
    GibboGT Posts: 287
    is 6.5kg what the seller is claiming? sounds very light!

For ref. the most expensive shockwave halfords currently stock is £154.99 and thats a "full suss" special.
    nicklouse wrote:
    Cheap and not very nice.

Take nick's advice. An 8 year old shockwave is pretty much worthless.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    6.5kg? Bargain, it's lighter than the £6k bikes used in the Olympics then.

Shockwave are an absolutely stunning brand, selling utter rubbish to the general public for year after year. For a similar price you could probably get an office chair with wheels on, similar spec parts, lighter and probably more nimble down the singletrack. Alternately, if the chair is out of budget, try gluing greasy bacon to your feet and sliding down the trails.

I understand they have a place in the market, they're not built for genuinely going mountain biking on though.
  • yer well as i said before there more for boys who dont know a thing about bikes and the worst terrain they cover is the cerbs outside their houses
  • I wouldnt say that shockwave are the most reliable bikes either
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    NS Holy 2009 :D
    Saving for Full Sus...
  • no mines recked ive not even had it a year and my bottom bracket broke over wear and tear the rear deraliuer broke for same reasons and now the front gear mechs going the same way the seal has broken on the handle bar grips so they slide around i had to buy new peddals as the teeth wore away and had no grip.. the list goes on
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could be more than one Shockwave - they certainly weren't around when I worked at Halfords in 2000-2002
  • yer good point as i found this on the internet http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/6 ... C00251.jpg
    under the name shockwave certainly not the same
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Diebliksem wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Looks can be wrong.

can you get a picture?

i will get a picture up in a couple of days time.

i did take it for a ride, handled good and was very solid. its about 6,5kg.

thanks for the help sofar.

does any one have the customer e-mail for Halfords?

thanks

6.5kg :shock: Are you certain you know what a kg is :? The carbon bik in my sig is just under 10kg... and that's a light bike.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • yer i think weve found out thats wrong lol but if its a shockwave he probs ment 6.5 stone or even tonne
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    yer good point as i found this on the internet http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/6 ... C00251.jpg
    under the name shockwave certainly not the same

Well no, that's a mountain cycle, the name on the side gave it away. Old brand, used to make a few different full sus models. :P
  • oh ok forget wt i sed then :lol:
  • wow not bad there completly differnt to the make shockwave :lol: