Does anybody go exploring any more?

dave_hill
dave_hill Posts: 3,877
edited November 2008 in Routes
I know that it's good to get some insider knowledge now and again for where to ride, but who here still goes exploring to find those trails?

Am I unusual in that I take a delight in finding a likely-looking section of trail on a map, then going to have look at it and see how it rides?

What puts you off from trying out or looking for new trails?

Is it lack of knowledge of where you can actually ride? Or knowing how to read a map and judge terrain? Are you concerned about upsetting people over whose land trails might run?

What would make trail-finding easier for you?
Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
Help for Heroes
JayPic

Comments

• Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    I know that it's good to get some insider knowledge now and again for where to ride, but who here still goes exploring to find those trails?
    I go exploring whenever I'm not riding with a group of people, mostly for personal enjoyment but atm I'm trying to expand on a route I've put together to make it over 8 miles.

Am I unusual in that I take a delight in finding a likely-looking section of trail on a map, then going to have look at it and see how it rides?
    I'm abit like that, I may be going somewhere and see a particular trail that looks good, I'll ride up it and see where it goes and either carry on from there or come back and go find another one to explore - It's how I put my routes together normally.

What puts you off from trying out or looking for new trails?
    Nothing really, except a serious abundance of gates. On 1 stretch of trails I know there is 6 gates in a mile. Some are ok and easy enough to get round but 1 of them is designed for people wtih a body width of 1 inch and 2 of the others are the enclosed circular gates, leading straight into the ones that narrow at the top- without space to even put your bike down and then less than 2 feet after that you have the bars you have to lift your bars over and slide yourself through - all rolled into 1! :shock:
    And this is part is an access route onto part of the north/south downs way route around here :roll:

Is it lack of knowledge of where you can actually ride? Or knowing how to read a map and judge terrain? Are you concerned about upsetting people over whose land trails might run?
    The way I see is that if I go wrong and end up somewhere I shouldn't be I can simply backtrack rather then trespass even more than I may currently be doing.
    Terrain doesn't bother me, whether it's up what could double as Mt Everest or down what resembles Fort William I'll give it a go and see what's there... Never been dissapointed yet!
    I know it's a big thing about people saying bikers cause damage to the countryside, but as for upsetting people.. I couldn't really care less unless I actually done damage to crops or whatever (which I dont, but ramblers tend to argue this with me).
    Overall if I'm in the wrong, I'll accept that, but will argue it when someone says I cause damage, to which I ask exactly how do I resemble or cause any damage remotely close to that of a 4x4

What would make trail-finding easier for you?
    A bike that can handle rougher terrain, which I've just brought, but then broke straight away (crankbolt sheered off mid ride).
    So I guess nothing now...
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I go exploring - have found loads of decent places to ride within a few miles of home including a 1:1 (i.e. very steep!) hill next to part of the Millbrook car testing track which is good fun to try and ride up and even better coming back down!
    Sometimes I jump on the local train to link up different sections / favourite bits as well.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    yep, i've found a good mountain pass that looks good near me, with a couple of hike-a-bike bits in by the look of the contours and i can't wait to ride it. Trail centres are good but i l ike natrual stuff to

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • I just pick the bits on a map that look good, and then join them up with some miserable xc trudge through a bog at 2000ft or similar.

It's all about finding out whether something is rideable by trying it yourself, and I've found some gems and some stinkers.

In Scotland we don't worry about where we can ride, we just do it responsibly and everyone stays happy.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    MXCT? :wink::lol:
    I have pain!
  • ivancarlos wrote:
    MXCT? :wink::lol:

Yup, the one and the same. Joining up trails is fun.
  • Did some exploring yesterday to decide which of two tracks would make into a new route I am planning. One track turned out to be unridable and the other was good. Guess which one will be used?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    As a road cyclist I can say that given the time I will definitely go exploring. I find it immensly enjoyable to discover new roads, new routes, new scenery and so on.

Keeps it fun, when riding up and down the same highway every day is just boring after a while. Better than the bus of course, but like having your favourite meal every day for a month, you want something else after a while.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Yep do it all the time, people have shown me routes that are 50% good riding and 50% fireroad, I'll then go off and look at every trail around trying to make the route as interesting as possible and keeping off the FR as much as possible.
    My route around Thorndon has gone from 7-8 miles to about 16miles now through me exploring and linking sections, some are little link sections 100m long, some I find are whole new trails miles long.

I really enjoy doing it, I also tend to do trail maint. Cutting back bushes, sawing up overhanging branches etc. found a couple of tree's that have fallen on my ride today, one was already down but at a high enough angle to under but thats now slipped so needs sorting and later found another tree that's been pulled down blocking a route, they'll be sorted out on next weeks ride :)