Where to ride, London

jeffers696
jeffers696 Posts: 328
edited August 2008 in MTB rides
Hi, just moved to london for a new job, so i was wondering if any one knows of any clubs, or groups that ride xc. i lack transport (apart from my bike) but am all ways willing to pay petrol and for tea and cake (some call me the milky bar kid). So if there is any body out there it would be nice to hear from you.

Thanks Paul
Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
OnOne 456

Comments

• rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    What part of London are you in as it's a large place ;)
  • jeffers696
    lol ye sorry, i live in bethnal green, right near the city, and like 10 mins from liverpool street.
    OnOne 456
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Your best bet then and a short train ride away would be epping forest, pop over and say hi at http://www.eppingmtb.co.uk we're over there all the time :)
  • jeffers696
    cheers mate i will do, whats the riding like there?
    OnOne 456
  • Gabber
    Gabber Posts: 54
    depends what yer after - fast twisty singletrack - yep we have that, or miles of bridleways/fire roads - there's a few of those lying around too.

I'd get there soonish though - it's fairly dry at the mo - give it a month or 2 and it'll regress back into the mudfest that it tends to be for at least 1/2 the year (still fun, but in a slower, more aquaplaning than riding kinda way)
  • jeffers696
    edited August 2008
    sweet i will, do they have a bike wash then for the winter? :lol:

i cant find any directions, is there a website, that could tell me how to get there? or the closest train station?
    OnOne 456
  • Do a google search for High Beech thats where they all start and finish usually. Theres no bike wash. Epping is big forest so organised rides are really good up there if your new to the area. They normally ride saturdays and sundays from 9am or 10am I think.

Theres the tea hut as well so hot and cold food available.
    Marin Nail Trail with a few modifications...

http://fatmongoose.pinkbike.com/album/Marin/
  • Used to live in Walthamstow and rode Epping Forest to High Beech every Sunday with Heales Cycles

They're good lads, so give 'em a shout.

You might also want to consider the North Downs - as Epping gets really hard in wetter weather, as it's slow-draining clay and generally pretty flat.

North Downs is in Surrey, Dorking area (probably an hour away by car from Bethnal Green through the centre of town) and has some truly excellent riding that drains well.