My first ride!!!

sjaszczak
sjaszczak Posts: 18
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hello again everyone,

Sorry to bore you all as yet another newbie excited about having returned from his first ride...but I'm going to do it anyway! hehe

I left the house at 7am today with no set distance in mind...mainly because I didn't know how fit I was...but I knew roughly where I was headed.

After a short stint on the York out ring road (was so glad it was early morning without too many cars!), I turned onto a road heading out towards a nearby village. When I got there, my bike computer hit 5 miles so I thought that a) 10 miles total was a nice first ride and b) I felt that by the time I got back I would probably be tired.

So anyway, here are my stats for my first ride*

10miles
34mins 35s
17.35mph ave
25.42mph max

It was a pretty flat ride. Only a couple of gentle gradients along the route.

*The last time I rode ANY bike was over 4 years ago. Then it was a cr@ppy mountain bike.

I thought it would take me a while to get used to riding a road bike...but it felt quite natural. Even going round corners! Might take me a while to get used to the gears.

I reckon I will need some padded shorts soon as well!

Comments

• Hi sjaszczak..

I just done my first proper ride yesterday afternoon (other than my test ride at the shop and once or twice round the village) and it seems im on the same road as you (in terms of being a newbie) haha..

Bike felt really good, i felt like quite a natural and i was quite happy to keep counting the miles.. although i don't know exactly how far i went (shall have to invest in a computer)
    But i've done the same route on my mountain bike with road tires and it's safe to say i much prefer the road bike!

Glad i had a chance to get out yesterday as the weather has turned pretty nasty today!
  • Hi sjaszczak..

I just done my first proper ride yesterday afternoon (other than my test ride at the shop and once or twice round the village) and it seems im on the same road as you (in terms of being a newbie) haha..

Bike felt really good, i felt like quite a natural and i was quite happy to keep counting the miles.. although i don't know exactly how far i went (shall have to invest in a computer)
    But i've done the same route on my mountain bike with road tires and it's safe to say i much prefer the road bike!

Glad i had a chance to get out yesterday as the weather has turned pretty nasty today!

I was quite amazed at how different it felt from using a mountain bike....and I loved the extra speed!

You should defo get a computer though...very handy I would say.