TT courses

100%
100% Posts: 236
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm just wondering if there is a directory of some description of Time Trial courses. I've seen numerous routes just referenced by their codes, but I can't find maps our directions for all these routes.

Is there some kind of central source of maps, or are these codes specific to clubs etc?

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • 100%
    Thanks for the info - that's got some of them on there, and if I'd been more observant, I'd have noticed that courses suffixed with 'c' are club specific runs...

Cheers again,
    Steve
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    100% wrote:
    Thanks for the info - that's got some of them on there, and if I'd been more observant, I'd have noticed that courses suffixed with 'c' are club specific runs...

Cheers again,
    Steve
    I thought that all courses beginning with C were those in Lincolnshire ????? In that case they will be inter-club or opens depending on the event. In my area (Midlands - K courses), we look them up on the Midland DC site where it lists the exact details of all K courses with Ordnance Survey refs as well.
  • 100%
    courses beginning with C were those in Lincolnshire

That would be a prefix, surely? I meant courses ending with 'c' are club runs. At least according to www.southdc.org.uk.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    oops - misread it - in our area and I assume all others, the suffix means a variation on the course - eg. the K10/ 10 has K10/10, K10/10A, K10/10C and K10/10F - all based around the same area but with variations in route/start/finish etc.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    100% wrote:
    Is there some kind of central source of maps, or are these codes specific to clubs etc?
    There is no central source for all TT courses in the country. Each local-area time-trialling district is responsible for the courses within its patch, for the definition of the course, the course risk assessments, introducing new courses, abandoning old ones and for the provision of all these details on websites (or not). Each district has its own numbering or coding method and there is a surprising amount of 'churn' with new courses being introduced and old ones lost through increasing traffic volumes, traffic calming measures and traffic lights.

Some districts have a comprehensive, up-to-date web record of courses. Others don't, in which case finding out about courses means asking locals, posting on a forum to ask for details or entering an event and waiting to be sent the full details with your start sheet.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to find maps and directions for all TT courses?

Ruth
  • 100%
    Just out of curiosity, why do you want to find maps and directions for all TT courses?

Well, it wasn't so much a case of finding all courses as finding some specific ones that a club had on their website. I wanted to see how bad I was compared to the results on their website as I'm thinking of joining!

Cheers,
    Steve
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I wanted to see how bad I was compared to the results on their website as I'm thinking of joining!
    That's a route to disappointment, quite a few of those times will be by experienced regulars with the right gear.

Time trialling is really about your targets and achievements. Admittedly it helps having someone else to compare to - I was fortunate in my first season to chat with a few people doing similar times. It gives you some benchmarks for your own performance, as conditions (and your own motivation etc) will be different each week.

By all means recce the routes, knowing where the hills, bends, junctions and the finish line are can make a difference. However, riding against the clock on the day will be very different to going out on your own. Just turn up, give it a go then, once you've recovered, start thinking about being quicker next week. Most clubs are happy to see new faces and won't expect anything of you.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.