Woooo...bought my first road bike

sjaszczak
sjaszczak Posts: 18
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hey all, after much deliberation, dithering and haggling...I just bought a Giant SCR 3.

Now I don't know if this bike is looked upon with any love (or indeed scorn) by you guys, but I came to realise, that as my first road bike I shouldn't be too obsessed with getting the absolute best bike for the money...mainly because I don't know the difference between "component A" and "component B" and I know that if I got into that mentallity then I would never actually buy a bike.

I was originally going to go for a Bianchi, but I the shop I saw it in had sold out of the 2008 version and I couldn't find another one anywhere (didn't want to buy off the net). So instead, I went into a good independent bike shop which was staffed by two friendly guys only too willing to advise a novice. They weren't pushy and seemed perfectly willing to discuss the pros and cons of each bike without the hard sell....and of course they took the time to set up the bike to fit my size/shape etc.

Overall I was very impressed with the service... and a bit of umming and ahhing later, they had knocked the price down to something I was willing to pay and threw in a half price helmet and bike computer.

Left the shop a happy customer with a bike that felt good to ride (they let me test ride it of course).

Steve

Comments

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Great news, I hope you enjoy it. As another happy giant SCR owner (there are quite a number of us on here), I'd agree you have an excellent machine. Don't get too hung up on the hardware, it's the legs wot count ;)

Glad you found a good shop too, it makes all the difference. Perhaps you should say who and where they are. Someone in your area may be looking for a reliable, honest shop and personal recommendation is the best form of advertising.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I love my Donovan....er...um Giant SCR 3, with all my heart. Great bike for the price, great entry into the road bike world. The bike will soon have you wanting more, not from itself but from road bikes in general.

The bike feels like it wants to and could go faster, I love that about it! Its what makes me want to ride it every day.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    reading some of what you guys say is very important to me,

I have an Allez and i have never rode anything better, so how do i know what a £1000 bike feels like?

i know no difference to the allez so to my how my Allez rides is how every bike rides ???

see my logic?
  • sjaszczak wrote:
    they took the time to set up the bike to fit my size/shape etc.

I agree with other posters that you should name the shop - they deserve credit for this, which is the most important part of getting a road bike.

Welcome to the dark side ;)
    John Stevenson
  • I've an SCR 2 and I love it. Had it for a year with no problems (apart from pet rabbit chewing though toe straps).

and only 2 p*nct*res!

Got it from Tredz and it came with gears set up a treat. All i had to do was turn bars and fit pedals.
    Be nice to grumpy old men (or else!)
  • sjaszczak wrote:
    they took the time to set up the bike to fit my size/shape etc.

I agree with other posters that you should name the shop - they deserve credit for this, which is the most important part of getting a road bike.

Welcome to the dark side ;)

The shop was called Bob Trotters Cycles...in York.

I had a question actually... I need to get a few bits and pieces...like puncture kit, pump, inner tube...etc etc.

What size inner tube do I need? Or are they all the same with this type of bike? The size of frame was "large" if that helps.

Thanks,

Steve
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    daz51 wrote:
    reading some of what you guys say is very important to me,

I have an Allez and i have never rode anything better, so how do i know what a £1000 bike feels like?

i know no difference to the allez so to my how my Allez rides is how every bike rides ???

see my logic?

People on this forum seem very happy in general with their bikes, whatever the make. The phrase 'love it' seems to crop up time and time again. I can say the same about my SCR 2, which kind of proves to me that most bikes are much of a muchness and hit the spot with their owners. There are so many excellent bikes in the entry level price point and if you take the advice on this forum you will be unlucky to get a bad one.

I understand your dilemna with a £1000 bike - it's a hell of a lot to shell out and be disappointed with and there probably will be a tinge of disappointment because the first thing you will do is compare with your £500 bike. Will it twice as good? I doubt it. Will it be as good as any other £1000 bike? Quite likely. I'm not ashamed to say that my next bike will have to initially 'look great' and that is where the differential really lays. IMO there aren't too many jaw droppers for £500.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    are SCR's being phased out in 2009, cos I can't seem to find them on the Giant website, just some new Defy bikes
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    wiffachip wrote:
    are SCR's being phased out in 2009, cos I can't seem to find them on the Giant website, just some new Defy bikes

That's just a renaming of the SCR range.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • sjaszczak wrote:

What size inner tube do I need?

700 x 23, presta valve. This is the most common size road tube you'll find for sale in bike shops anyway.

They may be marked something like 700 x 20-28 to indicate the range of tyre widths they'll fit.
    John Stevenson
  • sjaszczak wrote:

What size inner tube do I need?

700 x 23, presta valve. This is the most common size road tube you'll find for sale in bike shops anyway.

They may be marked something like 700 x 20-28 to indicate the range of tyre widths they'll fit.

Thankyou John.