how long to give a saddle

Dr M
Dr M Posts: 171
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
i've had my new bike about a month now, and done a couple of 40 mile rides a few 15-20 milers and yesterday did a hilly 75 miler which i was pleased about :D

Anyway, when i first got the bike i found the saddle uncomfortable even on 15 mile ones. Yesterday i noticed it a little bit in the first 10 miles, then nothing until about 60 after which the last miles home were pretty uncomfortable with lots of moving round trying to get comfy. My legs were gettng a bit tired but the limiting factor was definately the saddle!

So, as i seem to have got used to it compared to when i first got the bike, how long should i give this saddle. Or if its not comfy now should i head off to the shop and get another?!

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It not being comfy might be down to the position of the seat, the type of seat - whether your male of female or whether you are wearing padded cycle shorts on your ride - amongst other things.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You must wear padded shorts.

Try another?

I keep thinking about getting a Brookes, but then my saddle is fine....
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Dr M
    yeah am wearing decent padded shorts + assos cream, and have played around with different saddle positions but still some soreness on big rides. Just wondering if i should give it a bit longer or just get a different saddle. Current one is a selle italia Filante gel
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You'll always be some soreness after long rides.

You probably think about saddle position too much

Try to blank it out
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Treat yourself to a Charge Spoon £19.99 from Winstanley bikes including postage.
    Awesome value for money and very comfy. :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Dr M
    topdude wrote:
    Treat yourself to a Charge Spoon £19.99 from Winstanley bikes including postage.
    Awesome value for money and very comfy. :D

just been reading comments on those, and for 20 quid i cant really go wrong :D
  • . . . . I've a drawer full of saddles including a Brooks B17!

I now ride a recumbent (Trice QNT) . . . . comfort is a bit like a Parker Knoll compared to a wooden stool!

However, for an upright, my Brooks was the best. Takes a few weeks (or a hundred miles or so) to get run-in but it's worth it
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    I have a 140 gram saddle with maximum of 4 mil of padding where the cheeks congregate and I am now used to it although Dunton can be a challenge with all the bumps but it is only thirty miles or so.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    The only saddles that break in and get more comfortable with age are the likes of Brooks and other leather saddles that are suspended over a frame where the leather gets softer and moulds to you bum. If it's a modern saddle and you're confident that the position and angle aren't making any difference then it's not going to get any better.
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    System wrote:
    The only saddles that break in and get more comfortable with age are the likes of Brooks and other leather saddles that are suspended over a frame where the leather gets softer and moulds to you bum. If it's a modern saddle and you're confident that the position and angle aren't making any difference then it's not going to get any better.

I disagree. I bought a new Fizik Arione after having used one for the last 2-3 years without any problems. For the first couple of weeks it felt uncomfortable on longer rides even though it was in an identical position to the last one, so much so that I was beginning to think about buying a different model. Now, it is absolutely fine.

Check your saddle is level, try moving it forwards or backwards a few mm over a couple of weeks to see if you can find a sweet spot. If not then give up on it and try another model.
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    Its more likley that its your arrse that has got used to the saddle rather than the saddle suddenly becoming comfier!
  • sawarze
    sawarze Posts: 7
    A very personal thing.
    Changed to a Brooks Team Professional and feels very comfortable after 50miles and plenty of proofhide. Can't fault it and no longer have a sawarze!

Interesting commentary here - http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/2740
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have a cupboard full of saddles, all of which have given me varying amounts of pain over the years. I am now using a Selle An-Atomica

P4030073_small.JPG

It was comfy straight out of the box and has remained so. The best saddle I have ever used. The version I bought has waterproof leather and needs no treatment.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The shell on the fizik saddle does actually soften after a few rides, they are designed to flex and have channels cut into them and then filled with a rubbery stuff, the flaps soften after a bit. I noticed this particularly on going from an old gobi to a new one!
  • whether a saddle is comfy or not is down to your own particular shape, I'm convinced, rather than padding, channels, gel, springs and whatnot. I've always been a Flite man myself - tried others, not got on with them. Comfiest of the lot is an SLR with all the padding (about 2mm) and the leather removed. It's just a hard plastic shell on titanium rails now and I've never been so comfortable on a bike. When the rest of my Flites do eventually die (although the youngest is 8yrs and although fraying at the edges, still in good nick) I'll be replacing them with this new improved SLR
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    *quote* I disagree. I bought a new Fizik Arione after having used one for the last 2-3 years without any problems. For the first couple of weeks it felt uncomfortable on longer rides even though it was in an identical position to the last one, so much so that I was beginning to think about buying a different model. Now, it is absolutely fine.

Check your saddle is level, try moving it forwards or backwards a few mm over a couple of weeks to see if you can find a sweet spot. If not then give up on it and try another model

Definately agree, i had a cr@ppy old coda saddle and never ached after i got used to it but now i've got a fizik arione, which is much more expensive and it aches after just 10 miles. Well i hope he's right any-way otherwise it'll be back to the 10 year old coda from my 2nd hand cad2 r500 :wink: