Specialized 08 Allez Elite vs Cannondale 08 Synapse Tiagra

tpk
tpk Posts: 28
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hello.

I am looking for a first time road bike and am taking advantage of the cycle to work scheme.

One of the LBS who are involved are PRIMERA in Bournemouth who I am sure many people would be aware of within the road bike circles.

During the few visits made to PRIMER I have been very impressed/reassured by their knowledge and customer service so have decided to use them for my purchase.

PRIMERA also offer a free bike fit/set-up service with any road bike or frame purchased whilst most other bike shops only offer a set-up.

The two bikes I have decided to test this Thursday are:

Specialized 08 Allez Elite £799

Cannondale 08 Synapse Tiagra £699

I live in the New Forest and this is where the bike would be most regally used.

I would appreciate any feedback as to how appropriate either bike would be.

Many thanks.

Tim

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    In my opinion just looking at the specs of these two the Specialized is not worth the extra £100. They both have mainly Tiagra groupsets although the Specialized has a 105 derailleur which frankly doesn't make a lot of difference if this is mainly a commuting bike.

I think I'm also right in saying that the Cannondale is a triple which might be worth considering if there's quite a few hills in your area.

So just my opinion but I'd prefer the Cannondale.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, i live in the New Forest too and look in Primera occasionally :D
    Anyway, i looked at the Allez Elite and it didn't float my boat, i quite fancied it until i saw it in the flesh, a bit too garish colour and the (Jalco Dynamics) wheels looked crap. Overall i thought it was overpriced for a Tiagra equipped bike. Nothing wrong with Tiagra mind i have it on my bike but not for £800 :!:
    Didn't see the Canondale but it looks better value for money with Tiagra and RS10 wheels and a more subtle paint job also the triple chainset would be useful round here.
    Only my opinion mind you will know better after a test ride.
    Good luck :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Grandis
    Grandis Posts: 7
    I went for the Allez Elite on the cycle to work scheme. I would try and ride a few bikes before committing yourself. I found the Synapse and Giant SCR 1 a wee bit stretched out for me coming from a mountain bike. The colour scheme was irrelevant to me, however, I wouldn't say red and black was garish.

The Jalco rims have stayed true for nearly a year and 2k miles and got reasonalble write up in this months Cycling Plus (tested on an Allez Sport). I am 16.5 stones and the frame seems to be top notch with carbon seat stays and a seat post with zertz inserts.

At the end of the day it is a personal choice, both bikes would serve you well.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Well, tpk,
    What did you think after a test ride :?:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • tpk
    Sorry for the delay.

First out was the ALLEZ ELITE and straight from the start (up hill) I couldn’t believe the speed, flow and ease of riding. The second part of the test ride included a longish sweeping descent over a pitted surface and I must confess my fingers were on and off the brakes. The other concern was the bouncing motion, I felt that I could be buckarood off Spaghetti Western style. Once on the flat it all seemed more settled and at ease. I was impressed by the ALLEZ and it confirmed that I was definetly going down the road bike route.

Next it was the SYNAPSE and right from the start I noticed how much more responsive it was over the ALLEZ (grin factor) It took me back to having a BMX slapping between my thighs sprint style. When it came to the down hill section it was head down and no brake tapping as there was not as much bouncing motion. On the flat I was able to look around more and felt at ease. Only problem was by the time I arrived back to Primera my perineum was making itself known.

Back at the shop I discussed the bikes and the discomort and was advised that the SYNAPSE would benefit from the ALLEZ saddle (£40 exchange) and carbon seat post (£60)

As I have long arms it was suggested that the SYNAPES would be a better fit but all will be looked at during the Bike Fit session.

08 or 09

I will be hopefully be purchasing a bike next week so could have the choice of 08 SYNAPES or 09 (£100 extra) and as far as can tell they are the same spec. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

The other parts suggested are:

LOOK SPRINT pedals

SPECIALIZED 08 COMP ROAD shoes

CAT EYE STRADA WIRELESS computer

SPECIALIZED £5 bottle cage, a carbon one may be lighter and look snazzy but when its filled with water whats the differance?

This will leave some funds for clothing and again any suggestions would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

Tim
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    These look good, although savings could be made...

LOOK SPRINT pedals - consider Look Keo Classic (does the job for £20 less. weight cost is 20g)

SPECIALIZED 08 COMP ROAD shoes - consider Specialized 08 Sport Road.

CAT EYE STRADA WIRELESS computer

SPECIALIZED £5 bottle cage - a little weight to be saved, but again we're talking a few grams.
    Rich
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    See if you can get any of that extra stuff thrown in for free. If you don't ask....
  • tpk
    As I am using the Cyclesceme I will be unable get any discount I am told.

Tim