Glasgow to Edinburgh: Pedal for Scotland

2»

Comments

• I really enjoyed it, the route was fairly easy going no major hills, Some of the road junctions scared me, it seemed to be a game of chicken between the cyclists and cars. Really should have had police on some of the more dangerous junctions.

Think its a shame we only have one of these a year, another great route would be the canal path from glasgow to edinburgh Some keen cyclists could put togther a web site and a few posters and create there own unofficial Glasgow-Edinburgh by Canal cycle ride. Dont know how many riders the train service could handle for the journey back though .
  • After doing (too) many Sportives this year a wind-down at PFS seemed a good idea. Firstly I've got to say I really enjoyed it and it brought back many of the joys of cycling after pounding the road possibly a bit too hard over the year. A few observations

- It's a fun run and should be viewed in the great great traditions of half and full marathons populated by all-comers. Ok, it means there's novices on the road. That is the point. Chill, and enjoy
    - Normally I really enjoy cycling in the countryside. Bizarrely on this event the parts I enjoyed the most were going through some of the housing estates where there were lots of families and kids clapping us on. If the scale of the event encourages just a fraction of them to join in next year then that would be fantastic
    - Sign on for me was very smooth. Handling 5000/6000 entrants made to look relatively easy
    - Interesting things to see/do at the finish, rather than a 'so thats it then?' type of experience
    - shuttle back to Glasgow was perfect. Bike loaded onto truck, on bus, and set off within 15 mins
    - I agree some of the cycle paths were overloaded with the cycle traffic. Hopefully this will be improved as it's a symptom of the runs success (not its failure)
    - I chatted to quite a few people on the day and got a different aspect to life than on the chain gang in a sportive or race. It was refreshing to hear people saying this will encourage them to cycle more

All in, the pluses for me far outweighed the minuses.
    Why the name? Like the Hobbit I don't shave my legs
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    I'm not sure it is wrong to send the event down the cyclepath. What should happen is that the path should be closed to pedestrians for the afternoon. That is what happened for cyclists when they put the marathon down the cyclepath a few years ago. At the very least the signs put up should be hugely discouraging. As it was they used signs saying 'cycle event delays expected' & stuck them too low down so the neds could pinch them. Let's face it. Is it sensible to take the dog for a walk down a path with 6000 cyclists going down it? Given that it is only for one afternoon and that the path itself is going to be closed long term when they build the tramline down there I don't think it is exactly unreasonable to take the dog somewhere else on that particular afternoon.
  • timbo123 wrote:
    IThink its a shame we only have one of these a year, another great route would be the canal path from glasgow to edinburgh Some keen cyclists could put togther a web site and a few posters and create there own unofficial Glasgow-Edinburgh by Canal cycle ride. Dont know how many riders the train service could handle for the journey back though .

There are charity rides along the canal - did one myself in June this year (Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland organised it, I think). I won't be doing that again, though. The first half as far as Falkirk was fine - good, wide paths and dry. It started to rain at Falkirk and the second half of the ride was a mud bath on really narrow dirt paths - in places you would have had to dismount if a pedestrian was coming the other way. No way you could send 6,000 people along the canal path - it would be carnage, with more than a few bikes ending in the canal.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    If you can't wait until next September for another ride like this, I would recommend the Edinburgh to St Andrews run in June (look up the Lepra website for details). It is a harder ride, with no marshalling at all, but there are foodstops and a good atmosphere.

When you crest the hill and see St Andrews and the sea, it is a wonderful feeling.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• timbo123 wrote:
    ... Dont know how many riders the train service could handle for the journey back though .

Not well at all judging by yesterday's journey back. My wife and I got the 16:00 back to Glasgow from Edinburgh, and it was carnage. Must have been about 35 riders waiting to get on the train. A train which can only 'legally' take 4 bikes. (Two carriages with racks - Health and Safety says only two bikes per rack).

So, when the doors opened, and everyone piled on with their bikes - and the conductor followed telling all but four to get off - there were some choice phrases used. Unfortunately, the Police were drafted in - fortunately, the Police were the good guys, siding with the cyclists mostly, and calming down the situation (one which was being inflamed by the guard, who must have been off the day they taught the customer service class).

Lord knows how they all got back - some were saying they'd missed three trains waiting to get on, and each stop on the way back others with bikes (not PFS'ers) were treated like dirt by the guard as his back was well and truly up.

Fair enough, the train DOES only have space for four bikes, and the PfS folks DO put on trucks to take back everyone's bikes - but not everyone lives in Glasgow - (I'm a kirky fella) and it's easier, better, and quicker to get the train.

So - the lesson is, if you're going to arrange your own un-official ride, don't all rely on the train as a way back!

A great ride though, but with some Terrrrrrrible riding from some people.

I don't think anyone looked over their shoulder before wildy swinging out to the right for no reason - people stopping dead in the middle of fast sections (almost came a cropper coming down the hill at Drumpellier park) people getting off their bikes to walk up hills right in the middle of the hill, so you'd have to slam on the anchors - and then the (understandable) madness and impatience that was created at all the cycle path jams.

Although, it did give rise to the funniest line from the day when a guy was trying to pass someone:

(Slow Fella) - You on a time or something?
    (Fast Fella) - Yeah... Sunday!!

Anyway, fun day, looking forward to next year.

John
    Success is merely a failure to imagine more...
  • I had a rant on the feedback last year and I'll be having a rant again this year.
    Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoy the 55mile ride that gets 5000+ folk out on the roads for good causes but it has to be done responsibly and teh organisers and cyclists have to act accordingly

Now for my issues with it

(a) it is predominantly a road course so instead of veering off and on cycle paths which can't accommodate these volumes - KEEP IT ON THE ROAD

(b) It is not an MTB course so cutout the Cyclocross/potholes :x

(c) Stop veering it across major roads - I was on the Linlithgow-SQF road later that afternoon in the car and there wasn't any noticeable signs to warn of the event crossing what is a fast and busy stretch of road - the two cars in front of me had to slam on their brakes as they saw cyclists crossing just ahead of them. :shock:

(d)Glasgow - extremely well organised - police totally on the ball ( was even the case 3 years ago when it finished in glasgow) - due to TOB stages they are clearly up to the mark. :D

(e) Edinburgh - the place is quite frankly a joke (having lived there for 10 years I am well placed to make the comment). The road surfaces are a disgrace. The transport infrastruture consists of 1 railway line and 2 stations. And about 6 roads to get into the place. As a result of it's lack of any minor roads the only way in is using the cycle paths as 6000+ cyclists can't be accommodated on the A8. The cycle path in question goes right past some choice locations. Putting up signs to warn dog walkers etc is pointless - they will go down there regardless. My suggestion would be use the overflow carpark at ingliston show ground - the cyclists can come into Kirkliston (infinetly quieter now because the A8000 as been rerouted) take the back road which brings you out the other side of teh newbridge roundabout and there is about 200 yards along a cyclepath and into the showground. If Lothians & Border Police/Edinburgh Council were capable of organising themsleves then they could trot out with some cones and cone off the inside lane of the A8 from Newbridge rounadabout to the showground car park entrance

(f) Yes it is a fun event but if folk want to put their head down and get on with it that is their choice.(which is precisley why it shoudln't go along cycle paths and should also be kept out of central edinburgh)

(g) Sunday cyclists - the pack gives guidance on how to cycle on a road - READ IT - I lost count the number of times I had to cross to the wrong side to get past folk who seemed to require to cycle two abreast and leave about 3 feet between them and their mate next to them. Also try cycling in a straight line - I'm sure you also drive a car you don't behave like that in a car so don't do it on a bike :evil:

Prize Wally Award
    This year's prize wally award goes to the 3 guys on Mountain bikes who decided to run a redlight at a crossroads (think it was Edinburgh Road and Ruchazie Rd) and thought that the motorbike cop coming the other way would ignore the fact - he promptly did a u-turn and gave them a good bit of verbal :lol:
  • saf4254201 wrote:
    I had a rant on the feedback last year and I'll be having a rant again this year.....
    Agree with most of these good points. Edinburgh Council do need to get into the spirit a bit more but I seem to recall from something to do with the marathon that they charge a lot for road closures. However, why they can (partially) close roads for running but not a mass cycling event is beyond me. I'd still like to see it finish centrally rather than abandon cyclists out of sight on the outskirts

Re' the Linlithgow-SQF road. That's the most dangerous part as many cyclists are getting tired and used to very quiet roads and that one isn't. The roadabout also needs a marshal.
    saf4254201 wrote:
    (e) Edinburgh ... The cycle path in question goes right past some choice locations
    Mmmmm .... possibly a few of the cyclists came from there. We don't all live in the nice houses, although maybe you were meaning the really nice houses that the route passes at the very edge of Edinburgh - don't know the name of the place but there's some seriously large properties there
    Why the name? Like the Hobbit I don't shave my legs
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    At the little cycle path cludge up (see earlier picture) last year there was a few that took to the old railway embankment on MTBs, and a few others who knew exactly where they were and were able to use the road.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • This was my second year of pfs and I agree with most of the comments above, although it must be hard to strike a balance with 5-6000 participants of varying capabilities.

I see nothing wrong with folk who want to "get their head down" as it were and put a bit of effort in - just not on a crowded cycle path. Likewise, an event that encourages all types to try cycling regardless of experience is suely a good thing - but I feel there should have been much more made of basic riding skills. Like not braking sharply/pulling out/turning off because you've had enough, with 5000 people behind you is not a good thing.

Maybe i just notice last year, but there seems to have been a lot more accidents this year? Just more minor collisions due to increased numbers not used to group riding, especially on narrow lanes.

All in all it was a good day, but the Glasgow half seemed MUCH better organised than Edinburgh.
  • As an advert for cycling this event is a poor one. I was in Linlithgow Bridge around about 1330 and in the half or mile or so from The Bridge Inn to Sainsbury's I saw dangerous road positioning at a T-junction, red light jumping, riding six or more abreast, undertaking and then cutting in front of other vehicles without even looking.and worst of all riding on the pavement. I ride this particular part of the route on a regular basis and even during rush hour there is no excuse for the latter.

I took part in the event last year and agree that the policing in Glasgow was excellent, which once again appears to be the case this year. However the rest of the route seem to be left to its own devices. An event this size really does needs better control or I feel any good will towards it from residents along the route will evaporate.
  • saf4254201 wrote:
    (e) Edinburgh ... The cycle path in question goes right past some choice locations
    Mmmmm .... possibly a few of the cyclists came from there. We don't all live in the nice houses

Sorry :oops: - you are quite correct. Of course we should be thankful it was the bootlid of a Skoda Taxi that caught the full force of the shotgun (just down the road from the cycle path and not a the saddlebag on a Giant or Trek ( do they make armour plated saddle bags :lol: )
  • What a miserable snob.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • I agree with some of the comments regarding cyclists pulling out without checking behind first. Twice I had a cyclist not look where they were going and almost lost control of the bike. However this was my third time on the run and knew what to expect had I been less experienced I could have had some nasty injuries.
    However the highlight of the day for me was after Avonbridge seeing wee Jason aged 5 with his dad cycling along thoroughly enjoying himself. Hope everyone did as his vest said and gave him encouragement along the route. Does anyone know if they saw him at the finish line and if so when did he make it to Edinburgh.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    For those that don't know, and I've only just found out about this myself, you can buy photos of yourself doing the PFS from Marathon-photos.com. Simply type in your bib number.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    Christ, all the photos of me (#61) have me looking grumpy as hell.
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'm quite pleased with mine. I look sort of childlike in the thumbnails (that's me in the link); you wouldn't think that I'm in my early 40s. :D

I won't be parting with £18 for one though - certainly not a digital download!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • aac
    aac Posts: 12
    I'd echo a lot of the comments above. First time doing this kind of event, I don't really have enough personal motivation to sign up for them (I'm not knocking them mind, that's just me), but we did it as a family (me, my wife and 10 year old daughter) all on MTBs with slicks (my wife and I figured it wouldn't be fair if we used our road bikes and our daughter was the only one on the MTB).

First major challenge was actually just getting to the start line. Arrived at Victoria Park as early as we possibly could for transport to join the massive queue - lots of buses, lots of trucks, but only filling one bus and truck at a time. Bus driver followed a truck who got lost and had to doubleback through the streets near the Barras. The truck our bikes were on got there way before we did and there's me thinking that our bikes will be fine, you need to match vest and frame numbers to get it - wrong - from a distance saw our 3 bikes lying abandoned on the grass just ripe for the picking.

And by this time the start area was pretty much deserted, 10.30am it was when we rushed over the line having had no chance to get our bearings, enjoy the start, etc. just rush rush rush. Police were great and still waving everyone through but cycle traffic was light and trying to spot the signs/arrows to point us the right way not easy. Especially as they changed shape, colour, etc with no seeming pattern. As much as others above have complained about the unsuitability of the finish along the Edinburgh cycle path network, it was the start that we thought was rubbish - hitting our daughter with a 7 mile climb out of the city centre with no chance to get warmed up, all the stopping and starting so no chance to get into a rhythm. Nightmare. For those wanting something like an Ingliston finish, how about starting at Drumpellier?

And with all the transport delays, we were looking forward to the feed station at Drumpellier. Nothing left though! I'm no genius, but if they know the number of participants, generally order enough food for each one, unless it was mayhem for the masses earlier with some greedy sods on a free for all. Had no option but to stop at the McDonalds a little further on for a 'drive-thru' - happy meals all round (not exactly the healthy option, but it was food and breakfast had been at 6am).

Took a wrong turn (due to the cr@p signs again) at the bit where it turned off the main road, down the hill then switched right to join that cycle path. We never saw the tiny arrow directing down to the cycle path and were starting to head up the big hill after the traffic lights (as quite a few others were doing ahead) but were luckily shouted back by a couple of local kids.

Everything relatively straightforward after this, though markers and signs still could have been better. I'm still none the wiser about the actual distance of the route. Saw the 25mile sign, then a short distance down the road (could only have been 1/2 a mile or so) was the 25miles to go sign. Was it 50 miles then? Or 55? (End of day our computer said 100km and that was including ride to and from Victoria Park). Could really have done with better mile markers or something (every 5 miles?).

Avonbridge, Linlithgow and Hopetoun house were great, everyone cheery and supportive. I'm guessing that quite a few may have took the easier route straight through Dalmeny and down the cycle path to Cramond Brig instead of the right turn and over the hill then along the Kirkliston road. Lothian & Border police nowhere near as cheery as their Glasgow counterparts - saw a couple screaming at people riding two abreast to get in single file when they were not in any way causing any hold-up the little traffic there was.

Daughter was knackered by end but it was a great achievement. She was gutted at the paltry medal they were giving out though. I realise getting something spiffier may have raised the entry fee a touch, but the medal looked like it came out of the same Kellogs box as the free cycle computer.

My wife and I did the Edinburgh Marathon this year, and overall it was way better organised, waymarked, supported and the medal looked really fab. Fair enough, the Pedal for Scotland takes place over a longer route but there's no excuse really, it's not like it's the first time they've run it. Looking forward to the feedback form coming out.

Sorry if I've rambled on a bit.
  • I am not a big fan of cycling in a straight line and finishing at the opposite end from where I started - mainly because you either have to cycle back again or arrange transport at start and finish (unless you are forutnate enough to stay near either end). Lay on transport and you get the very problems tha AAC is mentioning above.

Here's a suggestion for the organisers - Have a 55 mile loop (instead of a straight line)

(a) pick the correct loop and you can have at least 4 start points (N,E,S,W) on the loop
    (b) it's a loop so if you get their by car you will finish where you started which is where your car is parked.
    (c) they can eithr have a shorter loop fro those wanting to do a shorter distance or at the very least there is roads cutting across the loop for those that want to bale out after a certain distance and still get back to their vehicles.
    (d) Transport - they can still lay on buses/trucks from Glasgow& Edinburgh as required
    (e) they use a loop taking in Airdrie Shotts Bathgate Linlithgow (the cycle path from Bathgate to Caldercruix gives the bale out/shorter route for those wanting it)
    (f) speak nicely to Scotrail and ask them to add an empty coach (no seats) onto the ends of the Airdrie and Bathgate trains (on a sunday they aren't that busy and with a goods wagon etc can accommodate plenty of cyclists).
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    (f) speak nicely to Scotrail and ask them to add an empty coach (no seats) onto the ends of the Airdrie and Bathgate trains (on a sunday they aren't that busy and with a goods wagon etc can accommodate plenty of cyclists).

An Open access operator that does rail tours would be more likely to be able to provide that service than Scotrail. Loco-Hauled stock would be required (rather than the normal multiple units) and a driver signed off for both the route and the loco.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days