bike frames and building a bike

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
does anyone know where i can buy a carbon frame so i can build a bike to my specs or is it better buying one ready built i already own a trek pilot 1.0 but i was sold the wrong size frame and just cant get it to fit me properly, im 5ft 6 and the frame is a 56 ive had the bike 18 months now

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It is better to buy one ready built because the cost of the same components will be much more if bought individually. For instance the Ribble Nero Corsa has an Ultegra groupset and it is £999. An Ultegra groupset is likely to cost around £400, then there are wheels and finishing kit on top of that (you would struggle to get much change from £350). On the other hand you could transfer the components from your current bike, but they may be a bit "low rent" for a nice new carbon frame.

Also, if fit is the main reason for doing this you would ideally ride the frame built up before you buy, to be sure. You could probably do this at an LBS but they're frame-only price is likely to be more than an internet purchase, and also LBS's are unlikely to stock the brands you might be considering that are affordable. Buying a bike on the internet is less risky than a frame-only, as you at least have the potential of sending it back if its no good (as a basic minimum you have 7 days to return it for a refund if unused, but some vendors may improve on this basic entitlement), whereas a frame will be secondhand by the time you have built it up.

Of course, money may be no object.

Yes, a 56 sounds a bit big for your height, probably more suited to someone of 5'10" and over. I wouldn't be using that shop in future!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    And this time, get the right size. Get measured by a decent LBS and make sure the bike is comfortable for you. Only then will you not regret it.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    And this time, get the right size. Get measured by a decent LBS and make sure the bike is comfortable for you. Only then will you not regret it.

Easier said than done sometimes but whats a decent LBS and how does the inexperienced know? Andy610 obviously thought he went to one originally. I know it can get a bit tedious all the time but maybe he could put his location, the distance he can travel and people suggest one to assist him.

As for sizes to look at as a starting point only, I'm 5'6" and have a 48cm RC2 which is sloping toptube and is a fine fit. A previous bike I found a 52cm conventional toptube was just a little too large but I have shortish legs - a size down from that would have been better for me. A longer legged 5'6" rider and it may be fine.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    It is a very satisfying project to build up a bike from just a frame, however as stated above it can be expensive unless you use some existing components.
    Be aware that your Trek Pilot is a comfort bike with longer headtube and wheelbase, you will find most frames are race oriented so the riding position is much more aggressive.
    My advice would be to get a Giant SCR or Spesh Allez (maybe second hand), not too different from your Trek and a decent step up.
    By the way, your Trek is definitely too big for you, 54 sounds more like your size.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    andy610 wrote:
    does anyone know where i can buy a carbon frame so i can build a bike to my specs or is it better buying one ready built i already own a trek pilot 1.0 but i was sold the wrong size frame and just cant get it to fit me properly, im 5ft 6 and the frame is a 56 ive had the bike 18 months now

One option is simply to upgrade your frame on your existing bike - that's what I've just done due to the original frame being too big - the LBS only charged £40 to swap the frame over and put all of the old components etc on the new frame.

A frame swap would give you a nice New lightweight frame that should be the right size for you, and all of your old tried and trusted components.

To check out both Carbon and lightweight Aluminium frames check out:

Ribble
    ChainReactionCycles
    Wiggle

etc, etc, etc

Important - Spend a few days studying frame geometries - check and re-check and then check again - and pay particular attention to the Top Tube length - at a guess, for a 5 '6 guy you might be looking at a 52-53 cm top tube length centre to centre - within that range you'll probably be able to use stem lengths and saddle forward/back to get the best position. You know your own dimensions though, so check this for yourself.