'butterfly' handlebars and bar-bags

zaynan
zaynan Posts: 180
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm considering replacing my riser bars with modolo yuma 'butterfly' style handlebars -
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Modolo-Modolo-Yuma-Traveller-Multi-position-Hybrid-bars-560mm-centre-to-centre--Black-15573.htm

I really like to use a handlebar bag when touring and wondered if anyone had tried using butterfly trekking bars with a handlebar bag. I use an ortleib bag and the fixing mechanism on these does extend the bag quite far forwards to clear brakes, cables etc.

Does anyone run the two toegether? The only way I can be sure they would work together is to buy the bars and experiement......
www.practicalcycles.com
The home of cargo bikes

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Ortleib make an extension (£6.99 from Wiggle).
    ortlieb%20extension%20ul4.jpg

Would this help (or do you have it already)?
  • zaynan
    wow, thanks alfablue - I never knew that it existed - that looks like problem solved to me!!
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes
  • alfablue
    :lol:
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    We are just back recently from a cycling holiday in Bavaria. Amazing how many cyclists over there have butterfly bars, when you hardly ever see them in this country. The only bike I've seen being sold in this country where they are fitted as standard is a Dawes Karakum.

They just don't seem to fashionable over here, but I think they look really good for touring.
  • zaynan
    it's the variable hand-positions that make them attreactive to me - i'm a bit of a fidget on the bars when I'm riding long distances - which is good for reducing aches and pains - hopefully butterfly bars will give more room to fidget!
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    In the VERY early stages of planning to do the C2C Hadrian's Wall Route 72 next year, I'm also thinking about butterfly bars - theoretically at least look eminemntly sensible! So how about a report-back when acquired - and pics would be good!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • I have a Kara Kum which comes fitted with these style of bars, I've never ridden it any great distance but the bars do give a multitude of hand positions.

The only thing I'm not keen on though is the foam stuff covering them, its a bit thin for my big hands and I can imagine when wet it won't be that comfortable. I'm going to put normal grips where my hands would normally sit i.e. next to the shifters and brake levers, and leave the foam for the curvy bits.

Mind you that guy who cycled around the world used them so they can't be that bad.
    Tarpaullynn
  • Ambermile
    Ambermile Posts: 117
    I like mine... though I have added a bit:

5488_barsfinal1_1.jpg

5488_barsfinal2_1.jpg

Plenty of options for not getting tired/strained arms/hands/wrists. I like them!

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • zaynan
    Ambermile, who makes your butterfly bars?
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes
  • Ambermile
    Ambermile Posts: 117
    Zaynan, mine are made by Raleigh, here

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • zaynan
    Thanks Arthur, I've now to decide between bars made by Modolo, Raleigh and BBB - all differeing in price - Modolo being the dearest at £30 and BB the cheapest at around £15 hmmmm.....
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    The only thing to mention if you use a bar bag with butterfly bars (which I find very comfortable) is that the handling when walking the bike or stopped is not stable as you have the weight of the bag and its contents so far forward due to the extension required to fit them.
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    Got some recently for touring on my MTB and did my first 100 miler with them on and also some off-road riding along the ridgeway. Have to say found them extremely comfortable and versatle. Everytime someone posts a picture of a bike with em on seems to be setup differently - upside down, back to front, grips in different spots. Mine are upside down with the straight sections or near section of the sides for a sit-up and beg position and the far section of the sides to get hy head down.
  • I am now running butterfly bars on't tandem and really like them We have a bar bag as well. The klick fix is attached to an accessory bar to give enough clearance between the front of the butterfly and the bag. See
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Thorn-Thorn-Accessory-Bar-(T-shaped)-with-105mm-extension--mounts-to-1-1-8inch-steerer-tube-for-lights-computers-etc-11040.htm
  • zaynan
    I have ordered a pair of these - http://fahrradteile.cc/humpert-contest-comfort-p-2526.html from Germany. I'l post some pictures of my set up once I've, er, set them up! I like the 'up-sweep' of these particular bars as I think it will make handlebar bag fitting easier (hopefully shouldn't need the extender for my ortleib bag) and will also give me a more upright position - HOPEFULLY!
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes
  • biped
    biped Posts: 25
    I've used these bars on my converted-for-touring old MTB. The gap width at the front of the bars where the barbag sits varies across models; my ones have a narrow gap so the bag won't fit well if the bars are horizontal. Yours may be better.
    If you tilt the bars forward (like Arthur's) you can get the bar bag on at a reasonable angle if not entirely horizontal. I wouldn't recommend the extension kit, unless you only carry very light things in your barbag. It is liable to make the handling feel very swoopy and top-heavy.
    Most bikes you see with these bars are set up with the bars angled back almost like a steering wheel. Canting them forward instead gives, I found, a higher sit-up and enjoy the scenery position; a wide-gripped slightly aggresive forward cruising postion (much like being on the hoods) and if you hold the front of the bars, you can rest your forearms on the back bars and approximate the postion of tri-bars, which makes covering distance on the flat very efficient. I've gone back to drops (Nitto curvy drops, fabulous) for the new 26" wheeler I'm building, but I would n't discount using the pretzels again.
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    Just to add. Been in the process of gradually getting the touring kit together and finally got the ortlieb barbag to try myself with the butterfly bars. Setup seems okay with the extension, didn't notice any particular handling problems with it containing the usual small valubles (guide book, maps, camera, wallet, etc) or at least it making it any worse than it already is with laden front panniers. Only problem was the barbag sat in front of the front light, guess this is a problem with any bars? Bought one of those T-bar handlebar extender things to sit the lights etc a bit higher, will install properly tonight, hopefully will solve that problem. Handlebars starting to look like a pilots cockpit, might even give someone the impression I know what I'm doing. :)
  • alfablue
    Yes, I had the same issue, I got the Topeak Bar Extender (allegedly better than the Minoura), it just about clears the bag if vertical.