Spain - Murcia Regin

LaSanta
LaSanta Posts: 25
edited September 2008 in Routes
Hi, does anybody know of any route sites or contacts for the region?

I'm going there in September for a few days but have been unable to find any guides whatsoever.

Many thanks

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'm going next week but I'm banned (by 'Er Indoors) from cycling or even talking about bikes. That doesn't help does it..........anyway, I can tell you that the Tourist Information website is pants. BUT I'm sure there's guide book for MTB'ing in southern Spain that might be useful. Try Amazon.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Not sure if this will help you, but yes tourist informaton here is bad, it all comes dow to the local town halls. A spanish magazine bike(afondo) ran a article on a ride in murcia. But for valencia this is all virgin ground. I don't know of any tour companies down there - sorry.

You could try this site out, it's in spanish, but try typing in mtb rutas murcia spain in google and let them translate, many spanish clubs are happy for you to tag along and if your worried someone always speaks a bit of english.
    http://www.rutasmtbmurcia.com/

Any rpoblems with the site, let me know and i'll see what i can find out for you, do you know where in murcia you will be staying?
  • LaSanta
    LaSanta Posts: 25
    John

I've had a look at the site ...... absolutely brilliant !!!

I think you may just have made our trip.

I tried the translation - worked well.

Our main trarget for rides will be Sierra Espuna (but other ideas are welcome) and the place we're staying is below Torrevieja and is called something like Torreca(?)
  • Glad to be of some help.

Get plenty of people asking for help, hope you guys have a nice holiday.
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    my parents have got a holiday home in torrevieja (near murcia) and i go outt here quite alot, i know of sierra espuna in murcia which is fairly good and thers some near benidor if you travel a little also there is an excellent freeride park in alicante does have a few xc loops and a foam pit :D definetely go there if you want a decent days riding ( also has uplifts) heres the name, just google it and it comes up: La Fenasosa
  • hi
    i have a place in Torrevijca,and have done a few rides up in the Espuna.
    Great loose fast singletrack,though pine forests etc.

Supposed to be there 26th-29th September with a few guys i ride with ,but the trips looking unlikey at the moment.

Have made contract with a couple of english guys living out there.(Mark)
    One runs a hotel in the heart of the range,and ther other does some guiding.(Mick)

If you want there contact details let me know.

ps without guides you will struggle,as there are no maps of any use,and also the MTB guide to the region is hard to follow,and misses loads of the good stuff.

fletch
  • Hi fletch

Yep I'd be interested in their contact details please.

Since my original post I've made contact with the local Espuns MTB club who have kindly offered to let us guest on a ride or two - having said that, I haven't heard from them for a while.

By coincidence the place we're staying (I think) is Torrevijca - where one of the group has a house, plus the dates we're there are 25th - 28th September!! That's assuming Jet2 don't go bust.

In addition to the riding we were planning to play a local side at 7 -aside footy (it was 5 aside last year when we were there) but couldn't line up extra players .... if only I'd have known a week ago.

Anyways, I'd be grateful of the contact info of your guys please.

Hope you make it out there.
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    chimp2000 were abouts is youe place in toorevieja? is it anywere near los montesinos or san miguel?
    i went up to espuna and cudnt find were bikes wer ment to go so just rode about :x where abouts did you go from the visitor centre? i set off from there then went through a gate and got lost, it was near the picnic area i went, were all the drop offs are..
  • Hi Jack

Check this link out ,it should help you

The main starting point for the rides is the camop site in El Berro.

Speak to Mick he does some guiding,mention Martin from Bolton !

http://www.mtb-espuna.com/index.html