12 Day Cycle trip

toole
toole Posts: 9
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
Basically me and a friend are cycling from Inverness to Fort William and then more or less South all the way to Ulverston in Cumbria.

Our aim is for him to show me the highlands for which i have never been, and me to show him Cumbria as i have been what seems like millions, but still obviously not enough! :p

We are leaving the 1st of September from Inverness to start our cycle journey.. We are more or less solid on the destinations we will be hitting until we get down to Gretna and Carlisle. We will be seeing Hadrians wall and Carlisle castle which my friend has seen neither of. But after this part im in two/three/four minds with where to go and what to see.

I have been Lake District so many times, i have wrote down places off the top of my head and researched some other places to take my mate, and it goes a little something like this:

Carlise > Keswick > Patterdale > Wasdale > Windermere/Ambleside > Ulverston

Now leaving Patterdale and going to Wasdale for the views means we will be going back on ourselves for two days more or less beacuse of the lack of roads... So i thought about this...

Carlisle > Keswick > Wasdale > Coniston > Windermere/Ambleside..

I have walked hundreds of times in Lake District, Camped, stayed for weekends... But never cycled so finding it hard to sort out the route to make it not easier but seeing as much as we can in the little time we have..

Does any one have any ideas on a good route to see more or less what i have put down?

Any other touring advice would be highly appreciated!