Do I need to go to the doctor?

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
Hi, I've had a bike (my first) with a tripple Campag Xenon on a compact frame for four years and have been happy. I have a Felt F4 with an Ultegra Dura-Ace mix that I use for TT's.

As I was doing Marmotte in July, I converted it back to road mode a month before to get used to it. Iwas riding it from June to end of July as I had a problem with the Monoc.

Now that I have gone back to the original bike it feels wrong. My arms are streched, the frame feels tiny as do my legs (they're not though) but worst of all...
I can't get used too the Campag shifters that I loved BUT KEEP WANTING TO USE SHIMANO Aaarrgh :shock:
http://twitter.com/mgalex
www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Shimano good in a clicky-clicky way, Campag also good but in a clunky-clunky way. I like both.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Well, I think that i've got used to riding a £1700 bike with top of the range over a 4 yo £750 bottom of the range bike. and know the difference. :D

break out the white coats and reserve the padded room I'm certifiable

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    I use both Shimano and Campagnolo. It only takes me a few yards to work out which which system I'm riding at any one time.

What I do find irritating is jabbing at the brake levers on my fixed to change down approaching lights :oops:
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I love my Centaur carbon groupset. The brakes, the shift method and the aesthetics are stunning. Everything except the hoods of the Ergos. While I feel they get more tolerable with each ride I still prefer the Tiagra STI's on my Allez. :oops:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    And I hate Shimano, so there!...if you want, I'd be happy to take the four year old bike as my new "hack" bike :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Seriously though, if you feel all cramped just check the position...the campag hoods might be uncomfortable for your hands but they shouldn't be making you feel like your position is off.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • I think it's more the fact that I've been off it for a while and I swapped my Fizik saddle to my race bike. I think that the discomfort is mainly down to the saddle.

• Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Shimano is the honda of the bike world - it never fails, works perfectly and has no soul, made in a factory by a robot earning less than minimum wage.

Campy is the alfa romeo of the bike world - made with passion and love. Breaks within 3 miles of use.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    Shimano is the honda of the bike world - it never fails, works perfectly and has no soul, made in a factory by a robot earning less than minimum wage.

Campy is the alfa romeo of the bike world - made with passion and love. Breaks within 3 miles of use.

Hmmm, someone who either has never used campagnolo, or decided to hit his bike with a hammer after riding it for three miles so he could try and make a witty observation on an internet forum.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Do a Jimmy Saville!

Campag on the Left and Shimano on the right..............................

Clunk - Click Every Trip!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Jez mon wrote:
    Parsnip49 wrote:

Hmmm, someone who either has never used campagnolo, or decided to hit his bike with a hammer after riding it for three miles so he could try and make a witty observation on an internet forum.

And also plumping for the 'wrong' abbreviation, as never used this side of the pond due to its, well, camp connotations. "Campy" indeed. I ask you. :wink:
    Seriously, I can't understand the Campag=vulnerable conclusion. I've used their road kit on 'cross bikes in all weathers for years with no bother.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Parsnip49 wrote:

And also plumping for the 'wrong' abbreviation, as never used this side of the pond due to its, well, camp connotations. "Campy" indeed. I ask you. :wink:
    Seriously, I can't understand the Campag=vulnerable conclusion. I've used their road kit on 'cross bikes in all weathers for years with no bother.

David

Is it not defamatory too? My Alfa has never let me down 8) .
  • Parsnip49 wrote:

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

I disagree, and here's why!

Now I love Alfas, but after Suds and 33's (ugh) nothing they have made has either been sufficiently reliable or attractive (call it that soulless marriage with Fiat then GM). However, the one thing, maybe the only thing that matters is the engine which gives a car its soul, its expression, after all it is it's voice. Now consider Honda, who IMO are THE Alfa of Japan. Bonkers engines with plenty of character and not an unpleasant aural experience either; the fact they dont break is merely a bonus.
    Here is another similarity: apart from the 'Sud, nothing that Alfa has made (in mainstream volumes anyway) has handled properly despite some fancy multi-link set ups, and oh look, same for Honda, who up until the current Civic have only ever used double wishbones all round. Even the last generation Type R Civic wasn't the last word in chicanery foolery.
    If you really want a soulless oriental experience product then you need to look at Nisoyota et al