Has the UK got the sh*ttiest cycling weather in all Europe?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2008 in The bottom bracket
I'm a fairly patient and reserved fella when it comes to UK weather....I always try and put up with the typically crap UK summers and try and salvage as much as possible from the few days of sunshine we do get....but this summer has really dismayed me...I know we can't do a jot about it (apart from emigrate), but lets be real...whats going on?...we never ever had summers like this years ago.....last year England got flooded out...this year Scotlands getting flooded...rainiest August ever....and looking at the long term forecast this is continuing to mid September at least....why would anyone in ther right mind ever come to the UK for a holiday?....

I fear that this rain pattern will form the basis for summers to come....really windy not too cold winters...followed by 2 weeks good weather around May...followed up by a monsoon....

I don't know about the rest of you....but I'm sick fed up spending tons of money on cleaning products...having to clean my bike after every run I do...

I spent 2 weeks in Gran Canaria lately and took my bike...I did a few runs out there and it was just so nice being able to ride about in that gorgeous weather....in a month I'm off to Bormio with the lads for a week...and TBH I'm just so glad I'm getting away from this non stop miserable downpour....

P.s Sorry to be a moan :(

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    This summer is no different from any other, people should know what to expect by now.

If you expect Spain-like weather during the summer you'll always be disappointed.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jonesey10
    jonesey10 Posts: 239
    Rubbish ain't it?
    I'm off to Spain in the middle of September for 10 days of sunny cycling, can't wait.
  • Anonymous
    This summer is no different from any other, people should know what to expect by now.

If you expect Spain-like weather during the summer you'll always be disappointed.

Never said I expect Spain-like weather?....and what bit of the UK have you been living?... Wales? (if that is where you reside)has Wales been having consistent torrential downpours every summer for the past 100years during the summer months?....well up here in Scotland (you know the country that you once entirely slated due to a few brainless Rangers supporters)...it has not been just continious downpours...we did used to get much drier weather...and I do know what to expect from now on...as I said ...Monsoon.....but it hasn't always been like this...
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I'm just at the end of my two week summer holiday, which I've spent at home for financial reasons. I've been out on the bike pretty much every day and been rained on every day bar two. My last break was in February and I had a better time then! Last summer was rubbish, but the one before that was fantastic. I'd imagine that seaside resorts like Brighton are really suffering.
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854

Disagree entirely, the last 3 years have seen a marked change in trend in my opinion. Summers are much wetter recently, much cooler.

Dunno about the rest of the country but the North of England has changed.

And yes it is depressing. I have a place on the south coast of France and the trips down there are a godsend to escape the weather in the UK
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    the weather is absolutley disgraceful...
    unfortunately i regulary check the weather through bbc/met office...this is even more frustrating than the weather itself.
    millions of pounds spent on forecasts that are so wrong most of the time
    i look at the bbc website which breaks down times through the day etc.....as expected this changes regulary but is 99% wrong,says at 4 0'clock thundery rain,look outside and the suns cracking the slabs....

how can they get away with blatant misinformation

...by the way its sunny at the moment...bbc says rain!!..aaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhh
  • snipz
    snipz Posts: 85
    I go back to work next week after a 5 week soggy break (I'm a teacher). Bound to be a fine sunny September...sods law!
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    If
    Never said I expect Spain-like weather?....and what bit of the UK have you been living?... Wales? (if that is where you reside)has Wales been having consistent torrential downpours every summer for the past 100years during the summer months?....well up here in Scotland (you know the country that you once entirely slated due to a few brainless Rangers supporters)...it has not been just continious downpours...we did used to get much drier weather...and I do know what to expect from now on...as I said ...Monsoon.....but it hasn't always been like this...

I'm in Wales, I dispute it. It hasn't been wet here for 100 years. It's been wet here since the last Ice Age when the hills were created. There's a reason they say the "green, green grass of home"

At least in Scotland you only have to wait 5 mins and the weather changes! Admittedly in another 5 mins it goes to hail and snow but that's life :lol:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Yes it sucks balls, but it makes us tougher, like Belgians.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I can't remember a summer where we didn't have at least 10 days consecutive
    decent-ish weather, unlike this year.

I also can't remember a summer where we had as much wind as we've had this year.

I was out on my bike on Wednesday evening, arm warmers, gilet and I still felt cold. Been seriously considering in investing in some leg warmers!

Best weather this year I can remember was a week in February where we had freezing cold nights, but warm days (for the time of year) of around 16-18C. Luckily I had the week off on holiday in Somerset and it was great!
  • Played cricket for 20 years up until 6-7 years ago, and seem to recall losing a lot of fixtures to rain. Certainly remember at least one August where it rained every Saturday until the end of the season, followed by one of the driest Septembers.

Can't say I think it's markedly worse now, but it's sure as heck not good!!

At least I'm getting good value for money from my cold/wet weather kit :lol:

Craig

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Southern Ireland has much-ish the same weather as southern UK. Cycling to work I've been drenched only a few times this summer, though of course have been in light rain more often than that, but not enough that I would describe this years cycling as being dominated by wet weather.

I would recommend either:

1. Adjustment of mental outlook. You're in a wet country. Get used to it.
    or
    2. investing in some good rain gear to make it somewhat bearable.
    or
    3. Be happy your not in a country where its freezing cold much of the year, boiling hot, or extremely hot and humid. Now that would be unpleasant.
    or
    4. Put the scottish grace to the front of your mind, and be thankful you can cycle at all. Plenty can't, and there are plenty more who won't and will never know the pleasure.
    or
    5. Move to Australia. They'll just love you for complaining about everything not being perfect, I think they have a phrase for it.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • chuckcork
    Southern Ireland has much-ish the same weather as southern UK. Cycling to work I've been drenched only a few times this summer, though of course have been in light rain more often than that, but not enough that I would describe this years cycling as being dominated by wet weather.

or
    or
    3. Be happy your not in a country where its freezing cold much of the year, boiling hot, or extremely hot and humid. Now that would be unpleasant.
    or
    4. Put the scottish grace to the front of your mind, and be thankful you can cycle at all. Plenty can't, and there are plenty more who won't and will never know the pleasure.
    or
    5. Move to Australia. They'll just love you for complaining about everything not being perfect, I think they have a phrase for it.
  • chuckcork

or
    or
    or
    or
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Well, global warming is on our side. Or so says Al Gore and he was the Vice President
    of the US, so it must be true. You won't have to suffer through those long ,cold winters
    much longer.

Dennis Noward
  • Anonymous
    chuckcork wrote:

or
    or
    or
    or

OK, I worked in Dublin for almost 3 years and it had much milder and drier weather than the UK....nothing like the weather I get....In the headline it said Is UK's weather...not Southern Ireland's....

Also, I've worked on my mental outlook now for over a decade...and I am used to it....it's just I've seen a definate change in amount of downpours in the last few years.....P.s Scotland is freezing cold much of the year aswell....and also I would prefer boiling hot...

And the comment 'be thankful you can cycle at all'...whats that all about?...as its the most common form of transport all over the world....even in 3rd world countries!

And your comment about Austrailia indicating that I'm nowt but a whinger beggars beleif...All I was saying thats its been really crap here lately...and you get this big 'protection' garbage trying to somehow defend it....surely we can be a tad dissapointed if we get pissed on for 8hours consistently every bloody week through our supposed summer.

P.s Please read the title next time...I never said "is Southern Ireland the sh*ttiest blah blah blah.."...I said UK....
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I dont get it at all, why complain about the weather? its like haveing a go at the hill you have to ride up for getting in the way......
    if you go out for a ride and you get wet just think of it as lucky as you did not need to drink all your sports drink as the rain reduced the amount you sweated?
    wind yes it makes you slower riding in to it but its good resistance training.
    cold you have to love the tingle on your nose as you ride and you can always put another layer on.
    and when its blazing hot on the sunny days then just bask in the sun and enjoy.

with the weather you get what you get and whineing away about it is not going to change anything....

and belive it or not the bbc dont make the weather all they can do is make an estermated weather forcast for the general area, they can never predict exactly where and when its going to rain. so just pack and emergnacy mac and you will be fine.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    celbianchi wrote:
    [quote="redddraggonDisagree entirely, the last 3 years have seen a marked change in trend in my opinion. Summers are much wetter recently, much cooler.

Dunno about the rest of the country but the North of England has changed.

This was always stated as being the trend as a result of local climate changes caused by GW.
    It's interesting how the BBC/Weather Centre does not really made a fuss over the lack of 'summer' any more, it just sometimes gives interesting figures for monthly rainfall.
    British summers have always had a fair bit of rain - we tend ot remember 'nice' summers in hindsight, usually when there had been a month-long drought or similar, to judge them by.
    A big difference these past couple of years has been the average 'summer' temperatures. This year in particular we had cold N/NW winds until June and now, even tho' the winds have become S/SW, they are not very warm.
    We 'should' have a big fat High Pressure zone sitting somewhere over Denmark, in July/August, which drags in air from the very hot continent over us.
    It aint happening no more and that is the way it is to be, with 'traditional' nice summers the exception. :(
    Getting wet it is then - Im off out....good job I like cleaning bikes :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    We have weather most other countrys have a climate.
    Weather forcastings heres a waste of time.You could say its generally wet all year round and colder in the winter for the uk, thats about it!
    The weathers crap like the country.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    swagman wrote:
    The weathers crap like the country.

thats a bit much the uk is not a island of tranquility but its a hell of alot better than alot of places. how many brits chance death trying to get out of the country or face death on their return ?
    If the weather is crap and the country why not leave ?
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • It does feel more rainy this summer than in recent years and that has been reflected in my motivation to get the miles in.

If that makes me weaker as a cyclist then I can live with that. Wind and rain may make you tougher but it is a pain when your kit and bike are soaking when you get home.

Our club 10 night has been Wedesday for as long as I can remember, decades, and the last three seasons the number of wet nights, especially those with high winds has been higher. It hasn't affected numbers too greatly as far as I can tell but it certainly makes me think twice about bombing home from work at 5pm on a Weds to get over to the TT if I am going to get a soaking.
  • chuckcork
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    [
    OK, I worked in Dublin for almost 3 years and it had much milder and drier weather than the UK....nothing like the weather I get....In the headline it said Is UK's weather...not Southern Ireland's....

Also, I've worked on my mental outlook now for over a decade...and I am used to it....it's just I've seen a definate change in amount of downpours in the last few years.....P.s Scotland is freezing cold much of the year aswell....and also I would prefer boiling hot...

And the comment 'be thankful you can cycle at all'...whats that all about?...as its the most common form of transport all over the world....even in 3rd world countries!

And your comment about Austrailia indicating that I'm nowt but a whinger beggars beleif...All I was saying thats its been really crap here lately...and you get this big 'protection' garbage trying to somehow defend it....surely we can be a tad dissapointed if we get pissed on for 8hours consistently every bloody week through our supposed summer.

P.s Please read the title next time...I never said "is Southern Ireland the sh*ttiest blah blah blah.."...I said UK....

No you didn't say where you are, but then again I would expect that given the weather across the UK can vary so much, that you would. I lived in London myself for 8 years, and found that despite the reputation of England as being a wet country that I only got wet infrequently, and drenched less often than that. I'm now living in a country that has even more of a reputation of being wet, only a few hundre miles away from the UK, and on almost the same latitude and my form habitation, so I feel the comparison is valid.

And which direction do you think the weather comes from anyway? Weather systems move predominantly from the west to the east, if you get it its after we've had it, most of the time.

As for being thankful for cycling, I dislocated my right knee a number of years ago, it was 2 months before I could walk again with jarring agony, or the chance of it, every time I took a step. It was doing it again in 2000 that got me into cycling to try and build up the strength of the legs, because I couldn't walk to the bus, and I haven't looked back.

And plenty of people can't cycle even if their physically capable of it because their mental outlook is so small that they won't get any further than "cycling is dangerous wot coz of the traffik" and so hop into their lardmobiles and go off and die of heart attacks or diabetes complications or something.

Great, Scotland is freezing cold....for comparison my coldest ride to work was in London at -4.5C, and I never did stop commuting; the coldest I've had in the last year was about -1.5C but that was in the dry; I had to stop for a week when the rain was heavy, was backed by strong winds and it was 3C as it was getting dangerous to cycle on an open highway. Now that make me unhappy-I don't like being off my bike, and hate the bus.

And I come from Australia and have lived in western Queensland, where daytime temperatures in the summer would go over 40C in the shade. My home city of Brisbane is noted for being humid, try 35C in high humidity. You'd be OK while your moving on your bike and getting some air movement, stop and then see how it feels. It is like someone has tipped a bucket of warm salt water over you, the sweat breaks out that fast. And when it rains it really rains. English rain? Polite by comparison, not at all like the torrential downpours we have, which in an afternoon can deliver more rain in volume than you'd see in a month. Whereas in most english rain you could be flat out getting wet.

So I'd personally be happy to ride in an fairly equable climate even if it is raining, at least in summer it keeps me cool. I can't see where I'm going that well as I wear glasses, and at night that makes it a real pain with the amount fo spray thrown up, but I'm fine with that because I'm used to it and accept it as part of the process, that motorists will never know and will never enjoy (I don't use the word ironically, but them the club do consider me to be a bit of a martyr). I just think of it as being a bit like hill-walking in the lake district on a day that has a bit of weather, where you still go up into the hills for a 6 hour walk, which is to say still OK.

So accept it or not, its up to you, but complaining about won't change it one bit.

Oh, and I didn't use the word Wingeing either. You did.
  • if anything, the summer weather is improving

_44926394_weath_graph_pt1_466.gif
    _44927019_days_rain466.gif[/url]
  • I don't mind the rain too much myself, unlike the wind it doesn't really slow me down (unless it's so heavy it affects visibilty), what i don't like is having to constantly clean my bikes. I don't mind it being a bit cool either as i don't sweat so much but it would be nice to have a bit of sunshine in the summer as it just puts me in a good mood and it would also be nice to have a few days when it wasn't so windy.
    pm
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    Hhmmm.
    Get some mudguards and get on with it :twisted:
  • chuckcork
    david 142 wrote:
    Hhmmm.
    Get some mudguards and get on with it :twisted:

For some reason road bikes and their riders don't go out in the rain. If they did then the bikes sold in the UK would come with the ability to fix proper e.g. SKS mudguards on, but thankfully road bike riders only ride their bikes in Spain (where as we all know it rains mainly in the Plain, not in the Pyrenees where all real road bikers ride).

Of course I have an Audax bike which has mudguards and which is every bit as fast as the pretty ones I see around that don't, and so me and my bike don't get half covered in crap, and I don't spend forever cleaning it. :)

Here's a joke:

Q: What do you call a Road Biker in the UK?
    A: Wet.
    [/i]
  • Gazebo
    Gazebo Posts: 6
    Just got back from a fairly miserable week in Devon - rain almost every day (1 full dry day). This is worse than when we have been down in February and October recently.

Luckily, picked the dry day to go for a ride on the Tarka trail with my son.
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    I imagine that Iceland might be worse than the UK?

We Brits like to moan about the weather and why not? It's part of our culture. It's really frustrating when the weekend comes round and its raining again and again and again......Right now it's hammering down again - just on cue. Just like RichyBoy i'm fed up getting soaked - but what can you do? Either cycle in the rain and curse wet feet or stay home and moan and watch the Olympics. At least it rains in Bejing as well which i find comforting.

Certainly August has been horrible in Central and Southern Scotland - as bad as i can remember. The difference seems to be how localised the bad weather can be. I spent the first 2 weeks of August up in Orkney and had decent weather there. Many parts of the North of Scotland have had less rain than usual this summer. It all seems odd but the stats probably say it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Last summer wasn't that great up here (Central Scotland) but the year before was really good and dry and hot. A dose of bad weather soon makes us forget the occasional good times. But being where we are geographically, we must expect the maritime climate. From schooldays long ago, i remember that exam time May/June were generally dry and warm but July/August were always a bit hit and miss but i don't recall such long spells of consistent rain and flooding that the UK is now experiencing in summertime.

Maybe next year we'll get a good one. It's still a good place to cycle (IMO) and if i went somewhere like Spain midsummer i'd probably complain about the heat!
  • When I'm up for a good old moan about the weather (and I frequently am), I make sure I do two things we Brits have done since our ancestors sat in the mouths of their caves waiting for the rain to stop before heading off to hunt:

1. personify the weather
    2. view monthly averages as entitlements/targets to be beaten

This way I can have an almighty good whinge about something I cannot control, and feel 'rightly' aggrieved that I am being deliberately short changed. After all, it tries harder in Australia, the Med, etc etc.

Cue H. Simpson: "Why you lousey climate..."
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    August is statistically the wettest month in Edinburgh - it is normal for heavy showers to come rocking through while the Festival is on. That said, this month has really been taking the p*ss - I certainly can't remember an August where there has been so little let up in the rain. However, this year I did have a great week of weather in the Western Isles in May and in the Lake District in June, which are again traditionally (relatively) dry months...

Like it's been said already - get a waterproof on and get out there. I did 150 miles over a weekend a fortnight ago. It rained for 130 miles of that, but it was still really enjoyable, apart from there being no reward for the climbing as the visibility was so low at the top of the hills. The only two real issues were getting cold on the descents (my fault - should have worn a long sleeve jersey and base layer) and cleaning the bike afterwards - there was a fine layer of oil all over the back end of the bike - would have been a good idea to hose it down, but that can be a bit tricky when you live in a flat.