Cannondale - OK for starters?

Road Red
Road Red Posts: 232
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I'm looking at a Cannondale Synapse 105 Triple, in the sales for £799. Have had a brief test ride and it seems fine. I haven't seen much commentary on Cannondale in the forum though. Any thoughts or advice.
Thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Gorgeous frames, reasonably exclusive. Slightly underspecced on account of the really good frames. For a starter, depends whether you're planning on upgrading, if not then there are better deals out there.

That said, if you like it and want to be a bit different (which is always a good thing) then go for it.
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Thanks. If all goes to plan, ie I stick with it and build up lots of miles and start doing sportives etc, I suspect I will be upgrading.
    By upgrading, what are you referring to? Wheels, tyres etc? It does have a Shimano 105 set, is that something that is likely to be upgraded as well?
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    I've got a CAAD5, and I love it.
  • road red

hello, grateful for any feedback on your cannondale. I too am a beginner and looking at the Cannondale Synapse Tiagra.

At 40yrs, 6ft 1in with the occasional lower back pain I'm really keen to find a comfortable bike. grateful for any reviews / thoughts

Tim
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    By upgrading, tyres wheels, finishing kit (handlebars stem post saddle) the 105 is good, but has a few problems in that
    a) it is shimano :wink:
    b) it is solid entry level kit

whilst a) is a matter of personal choice, after you've done a fair bit of riding you find yourself looking at shiney more expensive parts...

In summary, the 105 is solid, reasonable quality and will last well, but as you upgrade parts you will be looking to change things, the main potential would be changing to a double or compact crankset.
  • no-mates
    no-mates Posts: 31
    I've recently bought a CAAD9 with 105 compact and I absolutely love it.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Gorgeous frames, reasonably exclusive. Slightly underspecced on account of the really good frames. For a starter, depends whether you're planning on upgrading, if not then there are better deals out there.

That said, if you like it and want to be a bit different (which is always a good thing) then go for it.

I personally wouldn't say gorgeous frames exactly, in what way do you mean? The finishing, the feel, the paint job, what? I would say they are typical of a large manufacturer, no better than most other large scale outfits. I have ridden a few of their aluminium offerings over the years and didn't think they are extraordinary have to say.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    For £800 it's a reasonable investment given that the groupset is 105 throughout. Relaxed geometry for the beginner or those for whom comfort is as important as performance.
    If you want better value for money you could look at the Focus variado Expert from Wiggle. Slightly more aggressive geometry, Ultegra groupset and lighter overall.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Or the (non expert) Variado; 105 groupset and now reduced to just £616. Bloody bargain!