spoiler: BMX

2»

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    A lot more people have BMXs than track bikes. The UCI was "told" to include the event, to make some of the events in the Olympics a bit more "fun" and to attract younger people to the games.

The UCI has also been "awarded" as the international governing body for.. wait for it... skateboarding. There is talk of 2012 skateboarding under UCI rules.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:

The UCI has also been "awarded" as the international governing body for.. wait for it... skateboarding. There is talk of 2012 skateboarding under UCI rules.

Hasn't that been discounted and it's not going to be an Olympic event?

I think the Olympics in general could do with some rationalisation. How many swimming events are there? Track cycling should also be cut back to a few core events - Maybe put back the 100k TTT on the road and add another mountain bike event.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Hasn't that been discounted and it's not going to be an Olympic event?

I think the Olympics in general could do with some rationalisation. How many swimming events are there? Track cycling should also be cut back to a few core events - Maybe put back the 100k TTT on the road and add another mountain bike event.

I agree about swimming far too many events and almost every event seems to have a relay version too, however the marathon open water swims were great events and I feel they were a good addition to the games.

I see no reason to have the keirin and the spint they as they are essentially a test of very similar abilities, boot it out and add downhill mountain biking. Syncronised swimming, rhythmic gymnastics and the like have no place at the olympics.

I think any event in which the olympic medal is not considered the greatest prize in there sport should not be included, for example Tennis - almost every player would rather win a grand slam, same goes for golf (which is being considered for entry) and football.

ps just found this http://www.realmansolympics.com - all running events between 100m and marathon are 'event pollution' brilliant
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Apologies for the Daily Mail link but Shanaze-watchers will find this interview quite interesting and no other paper seems to have it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympi ... -2012.html

I wonder if she thinks her relegation was fair. Anybody know?
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    deal wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I agree about swimming far too many events and almost every event seems to have a relay version too, however the marathon open water swims were great events and I feel they were a good addition to the games.

I see no reason to have the keirin and the spint they as they are essentially a test of very similar abilities, boot it out and add downhill mountain biking. Syncronised swimming, rhythmic gymnastics and the like have no place at the olympics.

I think any event in which the olympic medal is not considered the greatest prize in there sport should not be included, for example Tennis - almost every player would rather win a grand slam, same goes for golf (which is being considered for entry) and football.

Well "the greatest prize in the sport" bit takes care of cycling too then

and i have to say that the gold and silver team synchro swimming routines were ruddy amazing to watch, THey seem to have got a lot better since i last watched it (god knows how long ago)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver