Best time to buy a bike?

touchy
touchy Posts: 60
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
Im looking to get a new road bike. I'v only ever owned MTBs so i'v always bought new bikes whenever i needed it because i use my MTB all year round. But now that i want a road bike, i realise that now its getting colder and wetter i wont be able to ride as much. (In fact, as im going back to uni in 3 weeks i probably wont do any road riding until next year).

Are prices going to drop more towards the end of the year?
Iv also heard that prices will be higher next year so should i buy now?
Im looking at this purely from a price point of view, as with the weather/uni work/exams/etc i wont be riding it until around may anyway.

(On a side note, whats the best bikes to look at in the 400-550 price range?)

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Get a used one or a used frame and then buy the parts as you can afford them? What about a fixed? pompinos are priced about £500
    M.Rushton
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd say buy a pompino or a bowery and then you can take it to uni, really simple, run it fixed and brakeless (totally illegal!) and no-one will sucessfully knick it...
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    If you do want new then now till after christmas is pretty good - 09 models are starting to come out from now and there will be offers on 08 and even 07 models that they havn't shifted.

Only you can decide whats good for you, try some LBS's and get their views and try some out to get a feel of them then you make the decision on the one that floates your boat best

personally though I have a Specialized Roubaix that I love. They make the Allez at approx 500 quid that gets good reviews on this forum so start there if you want
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Generally when the wife is out.

Get it delivered to work and sneak it into the garage / shed when she popped out to the shops. Deny everthing. Remember possession is 9/10th of martial law
    Paul
  • I think prices may have dropped a bit by the Winter.
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    Just bear in mind that manufacturers are warning of a (10%?) price rise for next year.
    Something to do with all the steel China has sunk into the Olympics...
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    david 142 wrote:
    Just bear in mind that manufacturers are warning of a (10%?) price rise for next year.
    Something to do with all the steel China has sunk into the Olympics...

Thankgod for carbon fibre then :twisted: