Wrecked my Bike!

zoglug
zoglug Posts: 212
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Well ive ballsed my bike up! The chain began slipping whilst on a ride which turned out to be not 1 but 2 stiff links! Once i got to my parents, my step dad pulls out the WD 40 and sprays my bike.....all over the disc breaks!

So i reckon i need a new chain... disc pads and possibly even a front chain set.

So would you look at doing the work yourself, or is it better to stick it in a bike shop and have the work done proper, especially for someone with no previous experience of this stuff?

Cheers

Zog
iamwhatiam.gif

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Depending on the brakes you should be able to swap the pads easily enough (don't forget to clean the disc rotors with isopropanol alcohol or disc cleaner first). Chain requires a chain tool (or not if it's a SRAM chain with powerlinks). Changing the chain rings will require appropriate tools to remove the cranks, depends on the cranks.

It's always good to learn how to do things yourself but maybe one thing at a time and buy the appropraite tools as each job comes up.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Probably just needs a proper clean and lube.

With new pads

I'd check that you haven't bent any of the front chain rings too
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Yer, stiff chain links can be eased. Remove chian find stiff link and basically just keep waggling it about with some lube on (ooeerr!) and you may be ok.
    I wouldn't bother trying to clean the pads up, just put new ones in. I doubt that contaminated pads are ever as good as clean ones... But that may be just me! And as mentioned, get some IPA (not the beers!) on the rotors and give they a good clean. You should be able to get some at the chemist.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    since when do you need to remove cranks to take of the chain rings? Unbolt, then slide over the crank arm. BTW WD40 is not a a good chain lube. You can free up stiff links by bending back and forth slightly.
  • gazvenn
    gazvenn Posts: 121
    need to get cranks off for the granny ring on all cranks i'd assume the other 2 can usually be done without, although middle usually means taking pedal off if you're running flats so might aswell pop the cranks off.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Some are rivetted not bolted on.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Bugly wrote:
    since when do you need to remove cranks to take of the chain rings? Unbolt, then slide over the crank arm. BTW WD40 is not a a good chain lube. You can free up stiff links by bending back and forth slightly.

Hmm, not tried it. But surely its far easier to undo one bolt (depending on chainset of course) and then doing all the fiddlier bits on a bench?
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • I fixed my contaminated pads by sticking them in the oven for a bit, then gave 'em a light rub with the mum inlaw's metal pan scourer. T'worked a t'reat. But then I'm a tight Jock, and Ratty's right- probs best with some new ones.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    @ratty depends on the crank/bottom bracket. Remember the old style square taper spindles required a puller to get crank off.

Hollowtech style cranks are a piece of p!$$ to get off. I was showing my age in the post. :lol:

Rob
  • Bugly[b] wrote:
    @ratty depends on the crank/bottom bracket. Remember the old style square taper spindles required a puller to get crank off. [/b]
    Hollowtech style cranks are a piece of p!$$ to get off. I was showing my age in the post. :lol:

Rob

We used a big mallet when I was small to get square taper off lol.

Bike probs just needs new pads and a good lube on the stiff links on the chain imo.
    Learn to do it your self, will save ££££££'s in the long run and much more satisfying.
    topo Posts: 3,104
    If you think your bike is wrecked because of some stiff links and contaminated pads!!! wow wait till you get some proper problems with your bike :):)

Your pads may still be alright, depending on if you can clean then up they may be salvageable, otherwise a new set of pads isnt that expensive just clean your rotors as said above.
    Stiff link could be solved by some WD40 and/or move it around to try and loosen it. Also if you have a chain tool push the pin through slightly and then put it back this sometimes loosens it up.
    If you really haven o idea what to do then take it to your LBS otherwise its best to do it yourself as thats the way you will learn for the future.