First post: Hello every one.

dtonkin
dtonkin Posts: 4
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Just signed up to the forum today. It looks like a decent, active place to come chat about all things cycle. I've only recently got a bike and started riding to work 5 days a week.

I would like to start riding in a club at some point in the Portsmouth area. Any one from around here ride in clubs? Only problem is that I have a MTB bike with slick tyres. I had to change them for riding to work, it's so much easier.

I've been riding for just over a month now, doing just under 11 miles to work and then back. Things are going great. Got my average speed up to around 18/19mph and my own personal record of 20.2mph average and 31mins 29secs. Any good? It's not a straight forward route, so I have to slow down a fair bit though. Any way, just babbling on now…

Look forward to your comments.

Comments

• grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Welcome aboard. Very good speed/average - but then I'm a lardy old geezer!
    You don't wear Rapha kit do you.... :shock:

Just joshin'... :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    I've been riding for just over a month now, doing just under 11 miles to work and then back. Things are going great. Got my average speed up to around 18/19mph and my own personal record of 20.2mph average and 31mins 29secs. Any good? It's not a straight forward route, so I have to slow down a fair bit though. Any way, just babbling on now…

.[/quote]

As long as your not lying you'll surely be t.t'ing pretty soon just get a proper roadie and you'll be away
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Also you'll ace the commuter "it's not a race" competition...er.... game....er.....thing :lol:
  • dtonkin
    Thanks for the replies. I'm 100% telling the truth about my times/speed so far. Got to admit, I wasn't looking forward to cycling into work every day at all. After a couple of weeks you really get used to it and it's no longer such a chore.

I'll have to get a road bike some day, sooner rather than later.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Welcome!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Roadie is best for commuting!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    Welcome...from one newbie to another!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    dtonkin wrote:
    Just signed up to the forum today. It looks like a decent, active place to come chat about all things cycle. I've only recently got a bike and started riding to work 5 days a week.

I would like to start riding in a club at some point in the Portsmouth area. Any one from around here ride in clubs? Only problem is that I have a MTB bike with slick tyres. I had to change them for riding to work, it's so much easier.

Look forward to your comments.

Ditto regarding the average speed other have made- thats hooning along! Is it a flat route? many lights?

Anyway, welcome, see you on a road bike soon :twisted:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • dtonkin
    Hi, there are a couple of lights I have to stop at. Most of the ride is cycle path though. Some good some bad. The route is not entirely flat, it only very slightly uphill most of the way. very slightly though. On the way back is the killer, the southerly winds really slow me down. Usually make it back in about 37–8 minutes.

I'm going to attempt to film my route on the way back, I'll post it up if it turns out OK.