is it really worth me getting a new bike now?

TheAlmighty
TheAlmighty Posts: 7
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi
I have a Gary Fisher Marlin, 04 i think, nothing too special, upgraded a little bit.
I want to get back into biking properly really.
Is it worth me splashing out on something special now, or do I wait and build up my fitness and technique more and then take the plunge?
I took it up to Coed Y brenin a coule of weeks back and the first thing i thought was christ this thing is heavy, it just didn't feel up to the job (neither am i really but i can work on that!) :oops:
Plus I am going up to Afan week after next as well, and thinking perhaps i should get something better, to get more out of the trip.
It is all a bit confusing, if anyone could give their thoughts I would be grateful.
Cheers

Comments

• gazvenn
    gazvenn Posts: 121
    i had an old bike which had been sitting in the garage for a while when i decided to start riding again, tried my best to fix it up but it was just awful, mainly gears just not working and the wheels flexing all over the shop. took the plunge on a new bike and it gave me a lot of inspiration and made me want to ride a lot more.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You may be better to go to Afan with a bike you know.

I did the South Downs Way last year on my old rigid, a bike I'd had for about 14 years! But I knew it well. It was harder with no sus and wet, but I did it.

Now I have an HT and want to do the SDW next year!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    Get a new bike ASAP. Just make sure you spend plenty and buy one which is recommended by this forum!