Which singlespeed wheels..please help??

TommyK
TommyK Posts: 177
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hello guys,

As a MTB'er and road commuter I finally bought a drop bar roadie, only a Giant Bowery (cheap in the sales) as I wanted workhorse singlespeed. I swapped a few bits to get it down to 18.5lbs, but the wheels seem brutally harsh and a bit slow. Can anyone recommend any good light singlespeed wheels, or just rims/hubs and spokes and I can build some. I also want some light tyres which have to grip/last through winter, any ideas.

Thanks.
-Monkey-like creature, only with less digits!!-

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1835856/

Comments

• bilsea159
    bilsea159 Posts: 256
    Having bought the same bike last week, I have already changed the tyres for continental ultra gatorskin which are reasonably puncture proof and fairly fast rolling, seemed better than the kenda tyres supplied and I went down to 23c. As for the wheels the review on this website for the bike felt that the alex rims were not too bad, so far they seem not too bad although the riding experience with them is a bit harsh and they creek a bit, but a decent handbuilt set could cost you more than I assume you paid for the bike if like me you got it for £225. So why not start with the tyres and live with the wheels. Out of interest what did you change on the bike to get the weight down.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    How heavy are your existing wheels?

If I do go a bit daft and buy a Langster or totally lose the plot and go for a Wilier Pista I'd be tempted to pimp it with a set of Halo AeroRage wheels but they're 2kg a pair. Look good though. :lol:
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I'd second the Halo aerorage. Why choose on the basis of lightness when you are planning to be hammering along UK roads in the winter?
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    How about a pair of cxp33 on the halo track hubs? You've then got a flip-flop, but they're light and pretty strong.

32hole hubs only though, but if you fancy something a bit special, get them built with sapim cx-ray spokes. Okay the wheels might be worth more than you paid for the bike but they'll look amazing...
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Very interested to see the comments about the Halo AeroRage. I am pondering similar choices....Do you think the Halo AeroRage will be suitable for all year round use e.g. winter commuting on potholed roads? I thought I might need to swap these out for more sturdy wheels during the winter due to their lightness.
  • TommyK
    Bilsea Out of interest what did you change on the bike to get the weight down.

Hi bud,
    I changed the pedals for crank bros eggbeaters to match my shoes (MTB'er ain't I!) I changed the stem for a titec 80mm job, this was cos the reach was too long not really for weight (the standard one is only 150g!) I ditched the saddle and post to save another 1/2lb. The original pedals are pure heftiness- well over 500g for the pair, so that was the biggie! I might wait until I ruin the rims and build some open pro rimmed CXRay wheels with the original hub?? depends how poor I am at the time I suppose!

I have no idea what is a good weight for road wheels? for a geared MTB the lightest XC race wheels are around 1300g Mediocre ones are 1600-1700g. Do any of you lot know what is a good mid range singlespeed wheelset weight? Those Halo's at 2kgs seems very heavy to me?// :shock:

• TommyK
    Bilsea Out of interest what did you change on the bike to get the weight down.

Hi bud,
    I changed the pedals for crank bros eggbeaters to match my shoes (MTB'er ain't I!) I changed the stem for a titec 80mm job, this was cos the reach was too long not really for weight (the standard one is only 150g!) I ditched the saddle and post to save another 1/2lb. The original pedals are pure heftiness- well over 500g for the pair, so that was the biggie! I might wait until I ruin the rims and build some open pro rimmed CXRay wheels with the original hub?? depends how poor I am at the time I suppose!

I have no idea what is a good weight for road wheels? for a geared MTB the lightest XC race wheels are around 1300g Mediocre ones are 1600-1700g. Do any of you lot know what is a good mid range singlespeed wheelset weight? Those Halo's at 2kgs seems very heavy to me?// :shock:

• TommyK
    OOPS! think I just ballsed up the quote thing!!! I'm so computer illiterate!!!

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yep the Halos are heavy but really who cares on a SS commuter. You save so much weight by not having a groupset anyway. Of course it’d be daft to fit them to a whisper light carbon frame but makes sense to whack them on a Bowery. I have a pair on order for my Singlespeed, by all accounts they are a good strong wheelset and fine for use on the road.
  • Condor do a pair of singlespeed wheels with Miche hubs for £150. I am picking some up toady.