Please help...moral dilema!!

alwaysOTB
alwaysOTB Posts: 151
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I am in the market for a new bike, and so as recomended I went to the LBS to test ride some bikes today. I also checked what price they were going for on the internet, just to check I wasn't missing out on any great deals.

Now, I have decided which bike I want to get (Bianchi Via Nirone with Sora) but can get it off the internet for only 25 more, but with Mavic Askiums! But having tested ridden it in the shop ( and they were really helpful and let me take as long as i wanted) I feel that I should buy it there.

Please tell me what to do.... buy it from LBS or of the net????????????

Comments

• unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    LBS - if you get known, its a great place to get into the local cycling 'system'. :D
    - It will probably mean that discounts for a 'regular' applies later, which will offset the cheaper prices on the 'Net.
    - Their expertise will mean proper set-up. If you have a problem, tha'ts where you get it fixed, sometimes by just dropping in...etc etc..
    I'd use the LBS (unless they're not nice for some reason...).
    There are good bargains rom the net, both from nornal 'shops' and e-bay but there is a risk with e-bay stuff and the cost of P&P with both :shock: .
    You pays yer money and takes yer choice, but I'm lucky with a good LBS.
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    unclemalc wrote:
    LBS - if you get known, its a great place to get into the local cycling 'system'. :D
    - It will probably mean that discounts for a 'regular' applies later, which will offset the cheaper prices on the 'Net.
    - Their expertise will mean proper set-up. If you have a problem, tha'ts where you get it fixed, sometimes by just dropping in...etc etc..
    I'd use the LBS (unless they're not nice for some reason...).
    There are good bargains rom the net, both from nornal 'shops' and e-bay but there is a risk with e-bay stuff and the cost of P&P with both :shock: .
    You pays yer money and takes yer choice, but I'm lucky with a good LBS.

I agree. Also when you need work done on the bike the LBS will probably be very helpful
    because you bought it from them and not off the web. Good idea to be known as a good customer at a shop unless you have the knowledge, tools, and desire to do maintenance yourself.

Dennis Noward
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    £25 difference isn't a lot - but what do you mean it has aksiums> - so the cheaper one has aksiums (which are a decent entry level wheelset) - what does the LBS one have on it?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    for only £25 difference by from the LBS. Otherwise you'll be spending the time assembling the bike yourself, and if you get it there you'll most likely 1. get a first service free 2. ensure that they stay in business so the next time you need something they are there 3. as noted probably get a better deal on some other things that the internet won't give you.

Besides which you are kind of morally obligated to for that minor difference in price shows they aren't there overcharging, and letting you try out their bikes has cost them staff time (that the internet shop hasn't had to provide), I would think you'd have to be really cheap to not buy from them when they've provided a service.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • alwaysOTB
    The one from the LBS has Ambrosio WS23 rims on joytech hubs (28 spokes). How much of a difference do you think there'll be between these and the asiums then? I would have thought it would have been a fairly big one ( as wheels go) between wheels that come with a 500 bike and wheels which cost 100 by themselves?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Ask them how much they'd do the Aksium upgrade for.If they're a good shop, they'll put the Aksiums on for a lot less than RRP, as they'll not only secure a sale for more money, they'll be able to sell the original wheels as well. It will probably end up being a bit more than on the Internet, but you'll get all the advantages of the LBS.
  • Firstly, you need to ask what deal the lbs might be able to do for the bike you want with the wheels you want.

Weigh up the p&p in the difference.

then bear in mind to keep a Bianchi in warranty it needs something like 3 services a year. Most bike shops offer a first free service for when the gear and brake cables stretch ect. That might be £20-39 worth of added value at the LBs, then weigh in the ability to build a relationship with them for the future.

If the difference is huge, and you dont mind handing your credit card details to someone you never met, fromwhom you'll never have any kind of relationship with, and who might be very difficult if you have a complaint, then buy on line.
    Bianchi c2c Alu Nirone 7 Xenon (2007) Road
    Orange P7 (1999) Road
    Diamond Back Snr Pro (1983) BMX
    Diamond BackSIlver Streak (1983) BMX

Oh, and BMX is the *ultimate* single speed.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    yeah - it's a bigger difference than £25 then - you;ll want to upgrade the std wheels at some point so its closer to £135 difference.

I'll buck the trend here and say get it from the internet - you have no loyalty or obligation to buy from a local shop.

I don't have a (decent) bike shop for 35 miles from me - you get by on internet parts and learn to do your own "servicing" - its pretty easy really.

On the other hand - ask if they would swap the wheels out - you might get surprised by what they can do for you.

Your choice.
  • alwaysOTB
    Thanks for your thoughts, though I still have not made up my mind - more opinions wlecome!

I take it you like your bianchi Juju? What do you think of the wheels?

Anybody got any opinions on how much of a difference there will be between the two wheelsets?
  • if you get it from your lbs there is a good chance they will throw in ( or at least offer a discount ) on computer , pedals , shoes ect . my lbs now offers a discount everytime i go in there , just because i bought my bike of them . excellent !
  • id say lbs, the stock wheels are fine for the moment, then you can save for a few months for some much better wheels....

also you know its going to be built up at the lbs and dont forget they usually throw in your first service gratis :-)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I bought my first bike from my lbs, and every now and again i buy a big ticket item from them, say forks or wheels. I get all my small stuff from them, and i'm on first name terms with all the mechanics. I now get a 10% discount on everything I buy and most of my workshop tasks are done for free (ex. parts)!

Ask them to do the upgrade, mentioned that you've seen it on the internet for the mentioned price and understand that they can't match it, but you'd much rather support the local shops yada yada yada.

They'll sort you out and look after you, you'll keep them in business and everyone wins.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Ask them how much they'd do the Aksium upgrade for.If they're a good shop, they'll put the Aksiums on for a lot less than RRP, as they'll not only secure a sale for more money, they'll be able to sell the original wheels as well. It will probably end up being a bit more than on the Internet, but you'll get all the advantages of the LBS.

enough said
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • As a few others have said, mention to the LBS that there is a slightly better deal on the net and see how much they might come down by. The chances of them matching the deal are probably quite slim, but they should give you something off the extras you will buy from them. The Aksiums are "only" £122 a pair anyway so may not be that much better than the standard wheelset anyway.

I got a pair of handbuilt Open Pros from my LBS last Autumn. A few months ago I walked in without the bike in need of front brake pads/blocks and after the hellos I got asked if I was happy with the wheels. I have had £50 discount off a £125 item. I have rolled in with a mystery intermittent squeak and not been charged for the time they have spent with it on a workstand being looked at. That I know is because I got the bike there, I have stood by and watched them charge labour to someone for changing an inner tube.

Support your LBS, it is to your advantage in the long run.
  • ride_whenever
    With mine, it has got to the point that I serve customers...
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Bit confusing. Are you sure the one with Aksiums is the same bike? And why have they fitted Aksiums to it?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • alwaysOTB
    Yes it is definitely the same bike. They have put askiums on it as a 'limited edition model' - I assume they had too many of the askiums and wanted to sell them.

Maybe this will be less confusing:

1.Bike from LBS (who let me test ride it) for 525
    2.By same bike with mavic askiums from the Internet for 550

Thanks for the replies people.... I'm leaning towards buying from the LBS at the moment - being a new roadie I've got other stuff I need to buy and a discount on that would help me save some cash. Not decided yet though - keep the comments coming!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    also you know its going to be built up at the lbs...
    Which is not always worth as much as one might hope...
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I use an LBS, a not so LBS, and various internet sites (chainreaction, wiggle, merlin) for stuff.

The very LBS is Edinburgh Bicycle, and though some others I have spoken to have gotten a frosty reception at times, I have had excellent service from them every time, plus discounts and mechanical help on occasion. (example. Got new forks from merlin. Cut the steerer slightly too long, so it was fouling the headset top cap, took it in and they just handed me their clamp on straight edge and hacksaw, pointed me at a workbench and said let me know if you need anything you cant see on the bench!). I bought a Specialized Hardrock pro from them and everytime I buy something else (innertubes and consumables mostly) it gets added to my customer record.

The not so LBS is owned by a mate of mine, so he gives me 20% off everything (which I refuse to take on silly stuff like chains, but anything over £100 and I take it.) He is also very useful on a sunday when you are tryng to get to the trails and realise I need an xxx etc.

Other stuff I by online, depending on what it is and what the price difference is. Hydro Caliper and Lever rebuild kits are not the type of thing most shops stock all the time. I even got CRC's last stock.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bia ... e-ec000025

How long till someone points out that morally you should have it with Campag?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • alwaysOTB
    I went into the shop thinking if I got a bianchi I would probably get it with campy ( Italian kit on italian bike and all that) but the ergos were rubbing the base of my hand and I preferred the shape of the STIs.

I dont think there is an evans near me (oxford) but the bike in the link is the wrong size anyway.
  • ride_whenever
    There isn't an evans in oxford, I guess you're going to Beeline, I've used them a couple of times and they seem like a friendly bunch. The other place worth going to is walton street cycles, they are very hot in there, not a huge selection as it is a tiny shop but they can order a lot of things for you.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I know this sounds like a kooky question, but what's the spoking pattern of the wheelset in the lbs? If it's a really cheap-o wheelset, it won't have a radially spoked front wheel.

If it were me, & I thought they were friendly + didn't lie about anything, and I road it outside the shop, I would buy it there even if it was a bit more.

What happens when you need something fixing urgently? LBS to the rescue!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    LBS to the rescue!
    Or occasionally... not.
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    There isn't an evans in oxford, The other place worth going to is walton street cycles, they are very hot in there.

Thats probably sound advice - I used to go there when I was a student in the 70s...
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Nuggs wrote:
    LBS to the rescue!
    Or occasionally... not.

Well, if this is a beginner question and he needs work on the bike who do you recommend
    if he can't do it himself? If you have never made a mistake on a bike then you have never worked on one and perfection is not available at any bike shop. or anywhere for that
    matter. :wink::wink:

Dennis Noward
  • alwaysOTB
    I'll check out walton street cycles.. though they're a bit more difficult for me to get to I think.

Synchroncity - the spoke pattern (and wheels) is the same as on the one in bendertherobot's link - I don't know enough about spoke patterns to know what radial or anything else looks like :oops: I suspenct there are okay though because they come with the 850 veloce Via Nirone. I suppose I'm more worried that I'm missing out on a deal than that the wheels will fall apart!
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    LBS are not always the best.

When i was looking for my bike i asked one LBS if i brought the bike from him would he supply it with an upgraded tyre. Not only did he want to charge me the FULL RRP he wanted to charge £20 PER WHEEL for fitting the damn tyres!!!

To date i have good service from my local Evans.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    The wheels look a bit dodgey to me. I've never been a fan of "semi paired spokes". Either they're fully paired or they're not. The only reason they're not is to try & weasle around Rolf's patent. They're not radial either... generally it means the hub isn't strong enough to take the loading. I'd rather not get into the debate about whether radial spoking is better or not... it's just never seen on cheap wheels (for a reason).

I'd upgrade to the aksiums. They'll most likely be more reliable & you can always get spare parts for MAvic wheels (freehubs can be swapped for either shimano/SRAM or campagnolo).

I'd ask if the bike shop can swap them. If not, I'd buy online...