isn't fantastic!

the ferry
the ferry Posts: 258
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
.........how brilliant is all the Olympic success?......my 11yr old said the other morning with a serious face "Dad how come Britain win everything at cycling?" i laughed heartily and nearly cried which was a strange feeling :):):)

Comments

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    ah. I see. You mean 'isn't it fantastic!'

Yeh, innit just. We're the best! Australia is going to have a collective cry this weekend. :lol:
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Australia is going to have a collective cry this weekend. :lol:

:cry::cry::cry:
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Worst thing is the Australian minister for sport basically saying "bring it on".

I'm glad I'm not in London any more, my former work colleagues would have been insufferable.... :(
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • V-twin
    V-twin Posts: 49
    Yup. The atheletics "Establishment" must be sighing with relief now that they have some medals to shout about. Yesterday, when they only had 2 track and field medals I thought the BBC's news broadcasts carried a whiff of desperation as they leapt on any progress as a sign of impending glory... (IMHO, of course) :wink:

V-T

mox senex dormit
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    V-twin wrote:
    Yup. The atheletics "Establishment" must be sighing with relief now that they have some medals to shout about. Yesterday, when they only had 2 track and field medals I thought the BBC's news broadcasts carried a whiff of desperation as they leapt on any progress as a sign of impending glory... (IMHO, of course) :wink:

V-T

Yup, take the sailing, rowing, cycling medals out of the table and team GB's won practically nothing.

Team GB have won only one gold medal in the athletics (which, lets face it is where the real prestige victories are gained) and then they had to rely on a convicted drug cheat to win that.

So basically the team's won all of their medals in three elitest minority sports.

Where are the names to replace those such as Coe, Ovett, Thompson, Sanderson, Hemery, Wells and Gunnell.

Bob
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    And lets not forget our silver in the high jump that was won by a jamaican :roll:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    beverick wrote:
    V-twin wrote:

V-T

Yup, take the sailing, rowing, cycling medals out of the table and team GB's won practically nothing.

Team GB have won only one gold medal in the athletics (which, lets face it is where the real prestige victories are gained) and then they had to rely on a convicted drug cheat to win that.

So basically the team's won all of their medals in three elitest minority sports.

Where are the names to replace those such as Coe, Ovett, Thompson, Sanderson, Hemery, Wells and Gunnell.

Bob

We are just better at sitting down activities...

BTW who the f**k are you to say that the medals are less important just because the sport is an elitist minority, it the f**king olympics so every event is elite. The rowers have faced some really serious competition, with the chinese running forced rowing camps since 2001. They've done exceptionally well and to say that people only care about the athletics events is ridiculous.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Anyway... back to the feel good nature of the OP's first post: Yes, it is fantastic.
    8)
  • heavymental
    beverick wrote:

haha. Nice try. I would attempt to counter that point but its just bllsht so I won't bother! :lol:
  • And lets not forget our silver in the high jump that was won by a jamaican :roll:

Or the 2 golds in the Cycling that were won by a Belgian (strictly speaking).

Thankfully, I don't care, I learnt how to deal with that when Zola Budd ran for us or when John Barnes played for us. Or whenever I have watched our Cricket Team play over the last 30 years.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    beverick wrote:
    V-twin wrote:

V-T

Bob

We are just better at sitting down activities...

BTW who the f**k are you to say that the medals are less important just because the sport is an elitist minority, it the f**king olympics so every event is elite. The rowers have faced some really serious competition, with the chinese running forced rowing camps since 2001. They've done exceptionally well and to say that people only care about the athletics events is ridiculous.

So "Team GB" have found three areas where we can target funding to produce a lot of medals. (Cycling's like swimming insofar as it's relatively easier for one person to win multiple medals at the same event - it still doesn't detract from Chris Hoy's personal achievement though.)

Unfortunately, to be able to take part in track cycling, rowing or sailing you have to live relatively close to one of the few facilities in the UK and commit substantial funds to your training. The cost of a Cervelo track bike, competition rowing boat or ding-dong yacht (or whatever the category is) is somewhat more expensive than running gear and gym/athletics club membership.

Regarding facilities, there are only a handful of cycling tracks in the country (even fewer covered), for sailing you really have to live within 50 miles of the Solent to take part and the 'serious' rowing clubs are reserved for a few universities and the Thames valley.

On the other hand, most people have UK Athletics affiliated clubs close to hand. Many cities and indeed most scholols still have athletics tracks (although I admit only a handful have good quality facilities). Making open access to athletics far more likley.

So cycling, rowing and sailing are 'elite' sports where you have to be in the correct place, track and field events are more available to the masses.

Regarding prestige, mention Olympic champions and, of the one's they get right, most people will immediately mention people like Carl Lewis (and unfortunately Ben Johnson), Steve Ovett and Seb Coe. Nadia Comaneci and Olga Korbut will also be spring to mind.

I bet none mention TIm Foster (but may say oh yes, him when reminded of his event) or even know who Fred Scarlett is (never mind when or in what event he helped set an olympic record).

Bob

NB from a forum of cyclists, how many people thought of Jason Queally or can remember the event he won and in what year.
  • heavymental
    I'm not entirely sure what your point is there Bob?

For starters I think anyone who is interested and determined will be able to succeed in those sports. As far as I'm aware, you can go rowing and sailing on many rivers and areas of coast around Britain. You can also take part in TT's at many cycle clubs accross the land. You don't have to go buy your own boat and don't necessarily need to buy your own bike to get into track cycling. I think if you have talent and determination then you can succeed in any of those sports. I think you're taking away from some of the lengths our athletes have gone to to achieve what they have.

And also, on the funding issue. Life isn't like some hollywood film. Athletes succeed from having access to good facilities and systems set up to bring talent through. Just as they have in China, Australia and the USA. Chasing a chicken around in your back yard and running in the snow like Rocky only takes you so far. You need decent coaches and facilities to build on the drive and determination that comes from the individual.

By the way, Phillips Idowu just got Silver in the triple jump.
  • heavymental
    beverick wrote:
    NB from a forum of cyclists, how many people thought of Jason Queally or can remember the event he won and in what year.

I can't remember the event but I can remember him doing it. Just like most people won't be able to name all the distances and disciplines that Michael Phelps (touted as the greatest ever Olympian in some circles) competed in this year.