Why don't you have a peak on a road helmet?

pjcs
pjcs Posts: 22
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
:?:
Bianchi Nirone 7 Alu Xenon - 2008
Rockhopper - 2007
Stumpjumper - 2009
Langster - 2011

Comments

• Andrew_J
    Andrew_J Posts: 142
    Aero Dynamics I would have thought.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Because it would obstruct your view when you're down on the drops.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Look at it the other way, why do you have a peak on a MTB helmet ?

Moto-cross full-face motorbike helmets had peaks first, so the helmet manufacturers started sticking peaks onto their cycle helmets and marketing them as MTB helmets.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    For mtb I think the peak is useful to keep the sun out of the eyes to some extent, but on a road bike it would obscure vision at times, though I have used a peaked one on a road bike without any issues, though the fashion police may take a dim view.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Mainly because it blocks your view if you have a reasonably forward-leaning position, as most roadies do. It also doesn't really serve much purpose that I can see.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My peak on my helmet keeps the rain out of my eyes to a certain extent, when about to leave and looks like rain I make sure the velcro holding the peak on the front of the helmet is pressed down so it forms some sort of seal.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I MTB in a road Helment :?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    because its not the done thing

boonen_1.jpg
    if you want a peak you do it like this
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Uh-oh :roll:

I've got a peak on mine. I'd better get rid of it then :oops:

Richie
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Uh-oh :roll:

I've got a peak on mine. I'd better get rid of it then :oops:

Richie

unless you seek the disdained "that will never do" look from passing roadies
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TommyK
    TommyK Posts: 177
    I do both road and mtb and have both peak and non peak helmets, I have to say that on the drops the peak is useless for all but blindfolding me! In defence of peaks though, for mtb'ing they deflect mud, stones, rain, branches well enough to be justified. I still wear baggies on the road though....!!! :shock:
    -Monkey-like creature, only with less digits!!-

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1835856/
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I use a peak in winter. It keeps the cr*p out of my face. Nick Craig rode the Olympic RR in Sydney with one so it is good enough for me.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I wear my peaked helmet with pride as I'm a mountainbiker on a road bike.

In reality I find it serves no purpose and my next helmet will be a well ventilated roadie one. Then I can get comments from the mountainbikers. It does obstruct my view on the drops a bit.
  • Simonb256
    Simonb256 Posts: 880
    I actually am not ofnd of the peak on my helmet when on road, nothing to do with visability but more beacuse I once came off the bike the peak snapped and sliced most of the left eyebrow off... (it was a faceplant)...

Though I was a mountain biker, not so much now... :(
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Because you'll look like a dick.

:wink: