Track Stand

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
How do I learn how to track stand?

Any tips or advice?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    practice, lots, with flats!

Generally find a slight upwards slope, front wheel to between 80 and 45 degrees, front brake on, easy gear, gentle forward pressure on the pedals, think about trying to rock forwards and backwards.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    It helps having a single speed.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    It helps having a single speed.

Why? A fixed would help but my singlespeed is no easier to trackstand than any gear bike.

Flats and practice. Look about 5 or 6 meters in front of you. Slight upward slope.

Not only does it make you look cool at the lights ;) it is very useful for improving balance although that may be more use on a mountain bike where slow speeds on technical climbs are more likely.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How do I learn how to track stand?

Any tips or advice?

As others said, on a slope (upwards :D ) I find it easier on hoods, turn wheel to the right, Right pedal between 10pastand quarter past position with just enough force to hold bike steady without going forward or back. You may find it helpful to put right knee against top tube.
    Once confident allow bike to roll back then pedal forward to get right foot back into position.
    It may look cool at lights, but I did this once on a hill at lights in wheels and my chain snapped right outsdie a buther's mshop full of old ladies !! Vey uncool as my body surged forwards fast and hit my chin on bars before collapsing sideways !!
  • Jon8a wrote:
    Why? A fixed would help but my singlespeed is no easier to trackstand than any gear bike.
    If you are on a slight downslope, then a fixie is definitely easier to do a track stand on.

Generally the ability to apply both forward and backward pedal pressure makes track standing easier.

On a free wheel bike, it usually helps to have something to push against, either a slope, the camber of the road or even a small bump at your front or rear wheel can be enough.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    WTF is trackstanding?
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    staying upright whilst not moving
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Scrumple
    In that case I'd recommend work experience at a circus.

Or, stabilisers....
  • sub55
    :lol::lol::lol:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • sub55
  • Scrumple
    See......

Escaped circus nerd twerp. With nerd face hair.
  • sub55
    :P :P :P
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This is how the pros do it. Just look at the size of the crowd.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rcEF2GyBR_Q&NR=1
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Scrumple
    Only cos Monster Trucks was cancelled, and Jeremy Kyle was on holiday (programme off air).