Manchester 100M

2»

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Think it will be OK without guards after all - it's not a club run with whinging mates.....

Forecast still mixed, but has been getting a little better, so long as the storm has gone, I don't mind a little rain (course I do, but it won't stop me).

Lube the bike up well, and you'll be OK.

Don't worry about the times, it's a personal challenge - tag along with some of the groups - will be much easier than riding on your own. Don't forget, some of the folk trying to ride it will hardly ever ride a bike - like those doing Marathons.

Fuel yourself properly, and it will be a breeze. Don't and it will be very hard, and not pleasant.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Food and drink so far:

Powerade
    SIS Gel x 3
    SIS drinks powder
    3 small bananas
    Small pork pies/mustard
    Honey on white bread
    Possible fig rolls

Current wind estimate - 13 mph - would prefer alot lower
    Temperature - perfect
  • what sort of bars gels drinks will i need for the 100 this will be my first time
  • fossyant
    I'm going with 2 x 750 ml bottles of energy drink (with 2 x lots of powder for refill at half way - so make that 4 bottles)

Food wise - 3 small organic flapjacks, 1 squashed up malt loaf, half a fruit cake, may be a banana or two.

Think there is about 3000 calories in that little lot !

Bananas/porrige for brekkie etc
  • fossyant
    I believe fig rolls are available in your local co-op - a collleague has just bought some !
  • There was a definate fig roll shortage over the summer but they are coming back. The brand named ones are back in sainsbury's but not their own brand (which had more fig and was much nicer). There are some going cheap in Lidl too. However I have now switched to a bag of dried figs in the back pocket instead.
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • Madra
    Madra Posts: 19
    I will be doing the M100 for the first time too but with the weather and work commitments lately I haven't had much time to get out on my bike....although I'm determined to complete the course. I've ridden a 40 miler a few weeks ago and when I can get out I usually do between 18 and 25 miles. Do you think I'll make it? I've read some of your postings about what food to take and there's some sound advice..Come on guys, give me some inspiration!! I'm frightened to death of not being able to finish the ride...think of all of that sponsorship money!! I've got to do it........ :(
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    you will be fine m8 just pace yourself and drink plenty ride with me as i will be struggling round also lol
    i did a good very hilly 30 miler yesterday as my last training ride so hopfully i should scrape round :roll:
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    anyone fancy a bikeradar get together at the start?..feel like we family after all the questions./advice etc..
  • seems like a good idea what time-where
  • stueyc
    im coming over in the morning from Leeds...trying to get there for bout 6-6.30ish

not too sure whats where etc...anyone with ideas let us know..
  • fossyant
    As mentioned here...if you are worried about getting round, don't latch on to a fast group - tuck up with some going your pace - take it easy to start, then if you are feeling good, get in with a faster group then.

I'm leaving home about 6.15 and riding over - but given the cloud coverage at this time in the morning recently, I'll be needing lights :(
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    What a blast :D - 101.3 miles 3000ft climbing 6:23, pleased with the time considering my knee injury - and money raised for a worthy charity. Drizzly rain for much of the day, and heavy rain towards the end (2.00 pm ish) - a headwind for much of the ride aswell - bit frustrating. Plenty of fast-ish groups to ride with, good fun. Road surfaces often poor, lost of divets, pot holes and the bike being rattled about for allot of the ride. Nice cup of tea at Nantwich (56 mile point). Excellent marshalls on virtually every turning - good signs. Well run operation. Would definately recommend, if you want to do your first 100, or want to do a slightly "easier" 100.
  • stueyc
    f***** wrong way!!!!!
    made the turn to go on the 100km route....no bas**** marshall anywhere indicating wrong way...just followed signs as advised....extremely disappointing
  • still a 62 mile ride m8 going the "short" route (which i think is a really bad way of describing it actually - its still a nice ride and a great acheivement).
    Iv done the 100miles for 5 years now and opted for the 100k this time as i rode on my fixie for the first time on a long distance (and was too lazy to put some training in :P )

But i must disagree about the signing/marshals - i guess he may have nipped off 4 a P when u passed but the signs said left here for "short" :( route "50 miles" (wrong its nearly 62 :) ) and the announcer at the start said (every 5 minutes it seemed) "turn left at sign 25A for the short route or ull have a longer ride than u expected!"

Again that being said its a charity ride in support of a great cause so well done all :)
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • stueyc
    your right the guys where good...i thanked every marshall i passed,i was off at 7 and never heard any announcement about the junction,maybe i just wasnt listening!!!!

...i am pleased as only done approx 40m in one go before..
    with a couple of stops to check map..which was in pieces in the end with the rain!...i still managed about 3 3/4 hours and gave me plenty confidence for 100m

just disppointed as well up for my first 100
  • that was fun wasn't it? Rain stayed off, so apart from the bizarre section of farm track-esque road shortly after the 'half way' point in Nantwich, a really good morning out. Bit of a pain threading your way through the 100km lot but nice to see so many people out on bikes. Managed it in 5:24 - was aiming for 5:45 so happy with that. Back in time for lunch with the kids and a minimal loss of brownie points :)
    well done all who participated
  • that was fun wasn't it? Rain stayed off, so apart from the bizarre section of farm track-esque road shortly after the 'half way' point in Nantwich, a really good morning out. Bit of a pain threading your way through the 100km lot but nice to see so many people out on bikes. Managed it in 5:24 - was aiming for 5:45 so happy with that. Back in time for lunch with the kids and a minimal loss of brownie points :)
    well done all who participated

ouch! srry to get in ur way, we peasants just dont know our place!

(tongue in cheek mode*off)
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • but nice to see so many people out on bikes ;P
  • Did the 100 miles in 5:40 which I was pleased with due to a lack of preparation. Thought the event was well marshalled and organised. It's an ideal century ride, virtually no hills. The bit where you join the 100km riders is not too bad, but it's made worse by the traffic (cars).
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    i did it :lol::lol::lol:
    i must say me and my m8 both said that the marshalls on every turn as far as i could see was great.
    must say it was tougher than i thought i had never riden 100m before so am proud as punch that i completed it (regardless of extremley sore bum) :D
  • Just cycled the 45 miles back home today after the 100 miler yeasterday and still elated by the Manchester ride. I thought it was excellent - really well signposted (although I was folloing someones wheel as they went off for the 100k and almost followed!) It only rained for me while I was at the cake stop inside - bonus. I caught a really fast group for the last 35miles and finished in 5:24 which I'm very pleased with so I would like to thank everyone in that group. Great to see so many riders fast, average and slower - well done to all. The organiser I chatted to at the end said about 2000 people participated in all. And isn't Whythensha Hall a nice building too!
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • stueyc
    probably me zen!!!
  • Cracking ride - well organised - I started from home in Wettenhall so by the time I got to the start 99% people had gone - did not catch up with any fast groups :( did 4:58 so well chuffed.

Was a bit dicey overtaking some chaps who were riding side by side - one on one side of the road and one on the other :lol:

Congrats to all who took part

Cheers

Martin
  • fossyant
    5:15 for me, could have been faster, but we kept our group together for about 70 miles.

Just a quick note:-

Did anyone see a White Corsa at about the 40 mile mark being driven erratically ? At least two riders were attacked with a plastic baseball bat - I was speaking to one at the half way stop and rode back with him- he managed to dodge it, but unfortunately another chap got hit badly on the arm, he is OK but badly bruised. The car was stolen. If so, can you possibly contact the Cheshire Police.

There is also a post by the chap's wife on the CC forums

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18520&page=2