Barnsley. Worsbrough/silkstone loop

DanHarling
DanHarling Posts: 6
edited July 2009 in MTB rides
Hi

i'm trying to find a great loop i used to ride as a kid in Barnsley. Coming from worsbrough(dearn valley trail) cutting off right after Gilroyd Bridge through a great single track down to silkstone. I've tried google maps but cant find the route(it was 15 years ago. Please can you help
Cheers Dan

Comments

• Hello

Dont know if you found this path but I live local and I dont know of such a path.
    If you go further along past Gilroyd to the tunnels at Silkstone Common and continue
    straight across the road,you will come to a gate at the side of the existing railway.
    If you turn right there, there is a good downhill to Silkstone village but its a double track.
    If I can help you further feel free to ask.
    Best Regards
    Dave C
  • If you head back towards barnsley on the road from where the TPT meets the road above the silkstone tunnels, turn left after 0.5 miles up Hall Royd lane up to the top of Champany Hill ,just before the house on the left at the top you can go down left and over the railway crossing then through silkstone fall , plenty of tracks available, to the road, cross over and go through a gap in the wall into the woods going down to pot house bridge on singletracks. Or go up the road and up the bridleway next to the golf course, then left and right to go dowh through hugset woods then down to furnace bridge on the silkstone waggonroad. Get the OS explorer 278 Sheffield & Barnsley 2.5" it covers a large area and is easier to use for linking bits of track than t'internet. Let us know if you get it sorted.
  • Hey up guys

Since Christmas I've included these woods on my regular mtb routes which always take me from the Hermit Lane, Higham area towards Penistone, and have found it to be excellent both ways i.e. outward and back.
    I don't think it is technically legal though as the trails are footpaths through the woods, (which is a shame and local riders should lobby the council to get the trails changed to bridleways. If anyone knows where and how to go about this I would like to hear from them.)
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Afternoon all,

Bit late on this one.

When I go up the trail westbound, there is a wood at the back of Nabbs Wood riding school. you can turn right there just before the old riveted railway bridget and go through the woods. At Ben Bank road, turn right and next left to up the concrete rise that is Hall Royd lane. Just a diversion to consider.