olympic madels.

locko75
locko75 Posts: 21
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
Can anyone settle an argument for me? What are the gold, silver, and bronze medals actually made of? I think i read somewhere that they are plated but my mate thinks they're solid.

Who's right?

Thanks in advance for any help, especially if i'm right :D

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I've no idea but I'd (almost) be prepared to bet big money that they're not solid except, perhaps, the bronze. Solid (ie 24 carat) gold is very soft. Most men's gold rings are 9 carat IIRC which means the gold is alloyed but I can't remember with what.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    locko75 wrote:
    Can anyone settle an argument for me? What are the gold, silver, and bronze medals actually made of? I think i read somewhere that they are plated but my mate thinks they're solid.

Who's right?

Thanks in advance for any help, especially if i'm right :D

The bronze medal is made of bronze, the silver medal is made of pure silver, the gold medal is pure silver plated with gold. For this year they've inlaid the back of it with jade.

A very interesting page here with all the Olympic medal designs including the winter ones which have always been unique

http://en.beijing2008.cn/55/69/olympicmedal.shtml
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano