IS or Post Mount - What is mine?

beardwithabike
beardwithabike Posts: 195
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Im a bit confused about this. What are mine? An explanation would be wicked too :D

Front:

15ufzs.jpg

Back:

5ls804.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    post front, IS rear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nice one :]
  • will these fit? Im guessing i need an 'adapter' but i want someone to clarify this as they are 70 quid

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=001
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    If you get the right adaptor then yes. You can get LX (the next level up) for less if you include postage - plus it's from a proper shop so no scam risks.
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=15&categoryId=115
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • oh my god i looked there i hadnt seen them!!

*Buys now*

Thankyou :]

Any idea on the right adapter?

Its a front Manitou fork and i assume thats standard accross the range
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    From the sounds of the description it comes with adaptors
    LX calipers with IS brakes 160mm front and rear , will also fit 160mm post mount front.

Either wait until they arrive or give Merlin a call tomorrow and ask them.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • will i have a problem with the rotor fit?

Ie The central Lock mechanism
  • nicklouse
    depends on what you actually ordered.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • well if it was the link above

ie this one

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=115

will they go straight on to my bike or will i have a problem with the shimano central lock mechanism .... ive not heard of this? I thought its just 6 bolts
  • nicklouse
    new discs.
  • One last question. If my front disc is 180 and my rear 160 now .... do my new discs have to be that diameter too regardless of make?
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    edited August 2008
    It looks like you have an 8" post mount fork, not a 6" one... if that's the case it would be hard (impossible?) to find an adapter to go back to smaller discs (smaller than 8") on the front. Or you can even go up to 9", but really & truly, that is overkill for most places.

For the rear, you can get 6", 7" or 8", but you'll need different adapters for the last two.

Measure the distance between posts to be sure... but I tell you now, most (if not all?) brake calipers running 8" discs on a 6" post mount fork need an adapter to run it (unless of course it's the DH specific 8" post mount). Yours doesn't have an adapter... so are you positive that's an 8" disc? :?
  • nicklouse
    your front disc should be 160mm.

But what is the model and year of the manitou fork.
  • synchronicity
    This should provide a better explanation of the different types of disc brake mounts:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... ?t=1590919
  • ok so after creeping through the house to the garage i have measured this ....

af94bn.jpg
    x3svwg.jpg

I just want to buy a brake set for under £100 with or without the right adapters as my julies are knackered. Im getting confused with mounts, adapters, post sizes and rotor sizes
  • nicklouse
    edited August 2008
    again what is the fork and year.

but just buy the LX and fit with your current rotors.
  • i believe it is a Manitou Six Sport 80mm (2003)
  • nicklouse
    so the mount is a post 6" Now if your disc IS 180mm then you must have a spacer between the caliper and the fork mount use this with the new post mount brakes and the current disc. or remove the spacer and use with 160mm disc.
  • well i can guarantee the diameter is 180mm and there is no spacer between the fork and caliper :cry: The didtance between the bolts is 3 inches. Im mega confused now from your last post as the rotor IS 180mm and theres no spacer

I appreciate the help btw :D
  • PS Is the fact the mount is backed off from the fork the reason it accomodates a 180mm?
  • nicklouse
    the fork is 6" post mount. and IF the disc is 180mm there has to be a spacer.

and if you follow the link posted above to my post on mounts and scroll down you will find the drawings for the mounts.
    PS Is the fact the mount is backed off from the fork the reason it accomodates a 180mm?

what do you mean?
  • nicklouse
    an example of adaptors for post 160 to 180mm

bddc-man-adap.jpg

they are just spacers.
  • well i measured the disc right accross the middle and it was 180mm. And surely if there was a 20mm spacer you could see it in the picture.

The PS that i wrote, i meant that where the bolts go into the fork, that bit is not flush on the fork, it is set back towards the back of the bike, like raised off
  • wouldnt u see them in the pic i posted of my front fork?
  • the first picture shows the post mount within the fork. My fork has circled where the post mount would be if it was the first picture but the arrow shows how its set back. This is what i meant by maybe thats why it accomodates a 180mm rotar disc with no spacers

10mo8k8.jpg

2e0pbwz.jpg
  • nicklouse
    so you are saying that there is air between the calliper and the fork? so the calliper is lose?

why are you posting a picture of a cable tie off point? it has nothing to do with the fitting of the brake.

the spacer is only 10mm! and from the angle of your picture not really.
  • balls to it, il take a zillion pictures tomorrow from every angle to clarify any argument
  • nicklouse
    just one clear picture from the side. is all that is needed.
  • synchronicity
    Sorry I realised that 180mm is a 7" disc, not an 8" one. I always make that mistake, 'cause 7" discs are rarely seen here.

Take the wheel off to measure the disc diameter more accurately. Personally, I would take it to a bike shop. Then if you buy anything, and THEY get the sizing wrong, you'll get a refund or at least a component swap.

Another thing... aren't the 6" + 8" post mounts the same distance apart? It's just their position or height on the fork that makes them work with 200mm+ rotors. Sorry for the confusion... :oops:
  • nicklouse
    Another thing... aren't the 6" + 8" post mounts the same distance apart? It's just their position or height on the fork that makes them work with 200mm+ rotors. Sorry for the confusion... :oops:

6" and 8" post mounts are the same except for the distance from the axel and the caliper just bolts on.

But a Manitou 80mm travel 2003 XC fork does not have a 8" post mount.