Fitting cleats a stupid question or not?

alibali65
alibali65 Posts: 40
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
I have taken the plunge and bought some spd's and cleats for my MT31's. I have taken off the cleat cover on the bottom and put the cleats on, so far no problem. They even fit onto the pedals ok. The questions I have are , is there some sort of rubber seal that should go on the bottom of the sole so that water can't get into the shoe. You can see into the shoe through a small gap when the insole isn't in place.Is it me? :?

And how should you adjust the cleat to get a natural riding position?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes there should be two square sticky backed seals. (come with the shoes).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Those seals are OK but don't last, grab some Duck Tape and put over the hole. It's what keeps the smell in my shoes :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Must of thrown the seals out with the box!!!
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I use Silicone sealant :shock:

Ideally the plumbers-pipeseal variety rather than the bathroom edge sealant as it's easier to remove again. I fill the slots in the sole, then fit the cleats to make a completely waterproof seal.

I also fill the cleat bolts hex-key void, and the space between the cleat and the round-ended plate so that dirt and grime doesn't accumulate. When (If!) I need to remove the cleats, it's a two second job with a small pointy thing to clear the holes in preparation for removal.