Advice for someone new tothe sport.....?

Andy54057
Andy54057 Posts: 22
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hello All,

I'm looking to get a road bike,predominately for physical training,my job requires me to be very fit,but if I keep the running up my knee's will be knackered in a couple of years...

I know absolutely ziltch regards road bikes,they become super complicated in the last ten years since I owned a bike.

I've been around all my local bike shops,seems in general i'm suited to a size 54 frame on most models (i'm 5ft 7in tall)..

I've thought rather than buy a spankers bike,a good quality second hand bike might suit me more,looked through e-bay like all do,again i know nothing what a true 2nd hand price would be,so here I am begging cap in hand asking for help...

Andy
Scott R3 custom build from a good mate (Morgfish.co.uk)....

Scott R3 2009 frame
SRAM Rival 2010 Groupset
Richey WCS Carbon Stem, Bars and Seat Post
San Marcos Seat
Mavic Ksyruim Elite wheels

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    If you want a second hand bike have a look for Specialized Allez or Giant SCR, both are good bikes with a slightly more upright riding position.
    As to price, check out the prices of new bikes with certain levels of components ie, SCR with Sora / Tiagra / 105 and expect to pay 2/3 of the new price for a well looked after used one.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    you could always get a new very cheap bike from somewhere like halfords etc. It won't last long but it will give you a chance to learn what you really want and spread the cost because decent accessories and clothing may well cost you a lot more than you realize. My bits and bobs have probs cost over £600 :shock:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    bike sizing is tricky, but I would have thought a 54 might be on the large size at 5'7". However frame geometry and measurements differ greatly between brands. Probably the most important dimension is reach, so the effective top tube length is an important consideration (the tube that is horizontal at the top of the frame, the length between the seat tune an the head tube into which the forks go).

To assess 2nd hand prices, search for the new price of the model you are looking at. Even a 1-2 year old second hand bike should probably be 60% or less of the new price. On eBay well known/popular brands can often be bid-up too much.

If you see an eBay bike you can usually get all the frame dimensions (geometry) from the manufacturers web site, take note in particular of the top tube length, then compare with a known bike (i.e. one you have sat on in a bike shop that you know fits you).

Whilst buying secondhand may get you a great bargain, if the fit is wrong its useless. Maybe as a novice it is best to go to a local bike shop (LBS) that seems trustworthy and buy from them, they should get the fit right. It is hard to tell if an LBS is good as a newbie, but they should take some time in finding the right fit, not just letting you sit on a bike and letting you decide unaided. They should also be able to tweak a bike to fit you (different stem length etc).

Halfords will not do, by the way! They are okay to buy from if you know what you are doing, but it can be a pretty much DIY purchase (and the DIY continues when you have to properly assemble the bike once you get it home).

The best option would be to go to a bike shop that does an explicit bike-fitting service (often computer aided). They charge for this but usually refund against a bike purchase.

A bike that fits properly is essential, especially if you want to enjoy it, do it efficiently and in comfort, and don't want injuries.
  • loads of bargains on ebay , just make sure its local so you can have a look , ride ect . massive depretiation on new bikes if you dont like it .
  • Hornetto
    Hornetto Posts: 141
    Re: sizing - I am just over 5'7" and have an Allez Sport with a 54 frame and it suits me fine (also Specialized's recommended frame size according to their sizing charts).
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    Yep, Allez Elite here, size 54. The fitter did say I had long arms though.