Base in Pyrenees. Argeles Gazost or Lourdes?

RyanBrook
RyanBrook Posts: 195
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
Have any of you camped in these places. Which would you recommend?

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Only go to Lourdes if you think you'd like a holy Blackpool.
  • Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    We stayed in Agos Vidalos about 2k outside Argeles Gazost - on the Lourdes side.
    There are few campsites in this village. Ours was La Chatagnerie (check spelling)
    Argeles Gazost also has several campsites which also looked pretty good.

I wasnt that impressed by Lourdes.
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    Argeles Glazost. Lourdes is ok if it rains a lot, some 250 hotels but AG is nice place. There is a great cycle path form Lourdes right to AG and beyond. I camped at Arcizans Avant (Camping du Lac). Great campsite overlooking AG.
    2 climbs up there one steep the other not so steep.
    Easy access to some great climbs Tourmalet, Hautacam etc.
  • rouleur23
    rouleur23 Posts: 175
    just got back form there. Camped wild. Loved it. AG is a nice little place. Not too big and not too small. At the foot of the Soulor/Aubisque too. Have a good trip

R23
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Many campsites at Argeles, but it is a very busy place. There is a campsite past Ricoh that is officially in Collioure, with a sea-level walkway round to that place. If you camp up at Canet Plage there are a couple of sites that will give yoy tent apace, byt mine got covered in pine resin. There is a decent cycleway a lot of the way to Argeles.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Ignore TT's post

he's referring to Argeles-sur-Mer/Argeles Plage which is on the Mediterranean coast about half way between Perpignan and the Spanish border